My new project

fishypets

dude, thats some serious lookig current across the top of that water!!

It looks like a lot but I could always use more. :)

Andrew yes I have the big wave box facing forward and it's giving me more wave than I need. I'm looking to test the smaller one before I make the purchase. Do you know anyone that has one? I'd be willing to part with a frag if so.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cindy I agree it is bluer than my previous combo I just hope its not too blue. If I get tired of looking at it I have a few extra blue special (actually white) bulbs I can swap out and play with a bit.

Jennifer- Please, give me a break! All the awesome corals you have and you say mine make you drool! But seriously thanks, I plan on finishing up the stocking this weekend. Of course I'll follow it up with pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I added four more Anthias and a purple tang along with some really cool chalices and some more colored sticks. Took a few pictures of the fish, notice how they are hanging around the wave box waiting for me to feed them. They are some pigs!

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well time for a small update. I came home from work today and my house was very quiet and dark. After a quick panic I realized my corals were still alive but my fish were no were to be found. I traced the problem to the Benklin power strip. It's amazing all the money we have tied up in our reefs and yet our weakest link is what powers the thing. Luckily all the fish made it, guess it had just failed before I got home.

Now onto the update. The stand skin didn't turn out like I had hoped for so I asked a construction buddy of mine if he could have one of his carpenters build something for me. I gave him a few ideas and let him run with it. He also built a smaller scale box to cover up the chiller and top off bucket. All I need to do now is stain it, and re-route some cords and I'll be good to go. Check it out, it's made from Oak and instead of bolting to the steel stand it slides out and has three doors. I'm very pleased.

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7701.jpg

Thanks Littlereef and Princer7. As far as the failure goes, no water intrusion, just a bad unit I guess. You know in the past I always used cheap plastic ones that cost five or six bucks and never had one fail. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen using the Belkin?

Thanks Littlereef and Princer7. As far as the failure goes, no water intrusion, just a bad unit I guess. You know in the past I always used cheap plastic ones that cost five or six bucks and never had one fail. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen using the Belkin?

We had that happen w/Belkin power strip. It felt hot and in another case it showed signs of overheating (on the strip where you plug your equip. it looked brown but not chard). Couldn't take no chances so we removed them. It could have been defective, we had Monster Cable power strip for our entertainment center and it was faulty as well, so from time to time you'll mostly like get defective one.....we still got some in use and when doing maintenance, we go through checking power strips just to be cautious.

By the way, the stand looks great......it will look even better when it's stain and sealed.

-Cindy-

Thanks for all the compliments guys and gals.

Ross-

I'm using a dark walnut stain if the wife likes the way it looks.

Cindy good info. I have a power conditioner (Panamax) for my audio componets and wonder if I shouldn't buy one for the reef tank. Just seems silly to plug all this expensive equipment into a powerstrip that cost 20 bucks!

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned the glass and thought I'd snap a few pictures. I'm way rusty with my camera so please forgive my horrible shots. The tank is really starting to find it's stride. I'm happy with growth and color for now. I also started Zeovit two weeks ago. Stay tuned........

IMG_7711.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7718.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

Clint,

Sorry for this late response. Did you find a decent power strip?

I don't think you need anything super fancy if all you need is surge protection. I use a plain surge protector:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812120300

I've also heard a lot of good things about the American DJ Power Centers:

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-channel-...e/dp/B0002GL50Q

What specific benefits were you looking for? Just something that won't crap out on you?

Daniel

Cecil I had ten Anthias but two died so I'm left with eight and one Tang. I plan on adding about six more Anthias all at once. When I do I'll make sure to take a picture.

Ross yes I did stain the stand and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. However the lighting conditions have to be just right in my living room to capture the true color of it. I'll take one this weekend and post back.

Daniel I just want my powerstrip to be reliable that's all.

Littlereef thanks! I appreciate it.

Edited by fishypets