My new project

fishypets

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks John! The gray pvc is clean and more professional looking in my opinion. The only down side it's hard to come by at Lowes or Home Depot.

Tonight I finished filling the tank and double checking for leaks then I added salt and turn the closed loop on. I'm thinking this will not be enough flow so I'm looking into a bigger pump. Any suggestions? Here are a few pics.

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

Great tank so far! I like the closed loop (and the gray pvc :) )

Btw - random question, what exactly is Kingfish? Is it just a fish store or whats the deal? I thought they just

took care of aquariums (like the one in the finish line on Bee Caves)

Kingfish is John and Brian's store down on Burnet road called Kingfish Aquariums

I got around to adding rock last night and I must say scaping this tank was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I had a picture in my mind of two tall columns but it just didn't come out right. Here is what I've done so far. Noting special but lots of room to place corals and hopefully watch em grow up toward the light. Here it is.

IMG_7399.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7397.jpg

Gabe- Looking at the pictures only I would agree that the scape needs to be higher. However when you look at the tank in person it doesn't give you that feel. It's taken me some getting used to the idea of having a tank with these dimensions. And I hope you're right about the corals growing up to fill in the gaps!

Andrew you like the texture of the sand or rock? I really like the substrate bed because I will never have to worry about having too much flow to blow it around.

Thanks Jason! Would you do anything different? Mike doesn't like it and wants to come over and "fix" it. Maybe he'll do some sort of live rock endoscopy or some other medical procedure to make it look better!

Thanks again for you help, there is no way we could have done it without you. I'll return the favor with frags once I get some myself. Hope all is well.

I do expect to see some crazy maximas.

Got any up for grabs?

Thanks to Ace aka Hobogato my stand is no longer naked. With three solid panels that are held in place using brackets and magnets taking the front and sides off is as easy as 1 2 3.

^that was cheesy. :(

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg

Thanks Jason! Would you do anything different? Mike doesn't like it and wants to come over and "fix" it. Maybe he'll do some sort of live rock endoscopy or some other medical procedure to make it look better!

Thanks again for you help, there is no way we could have done it without you. I'll return the favor with frags once I get some myself. Hope all is well.

I was happy to help and just glad that our community will have you back. I really like the aquascaping and wouldn't do anything differently with it as I look at it now. I can not see really well from the pics, but one mistake I made in my FOWLR was having the rock too close to the side glass that made cleaning the glass difficult. As long as you can magnet and scrape easy enough I like the way it looks.

One suggestion I have, that probably fits into the category of either: (1) I should have said it sooner; or (2) you already decided it is not an option; is the location of the chiller. I have my chiller for the reef tank in the tank room similar to how yours is currently positioned. It draws constant complaints from my wife for adding heat to the room when it is running. It looks like you have easy access outside from the tank location and it might be worth plumbing through to keep it outside. For my FOWLR the chiller is in the garage and that has added to household accord.

Can't wait to see the setup in person as you start stocking the tank. Talk to you soon.