Grow Your Own...

renman303

Wondering if anyone has had success growing or whatever "Copepods"? There are some available on "Live Aquaria" that say you can add them directly to your aquarium or to your refugium. What is best? A bit of both?

A bottle of these guys is $19.99.

I have some type of little critters zipping around the rocks in Fuge that look like "Silverfish" if you will. I think that is what they are but, how do you "harvest" them to put into your tank to feed the fish?

My brain, hurts...much!

:D

im not exactly sure how successful this method is, but if you put a black or dark colored filter floss block into the fuge, the pods will eventually end up inside the block. then you can take the block and shake it off into the display. ive never actually had a reason to do this so ive never tried, but i have had a black filter floss block with tons of them. ive also hear of this method elsewhere before. if you have any cheatomorpha in your fuge im sure its colonized with tons of various pods. you could probably just shake that off into the display? i know i could do it with mine.

That's interesting because one of the inlets into my sump I have a filter sock that is fairly large as far as pores go. When I went to clean it the other day there were 5 inside the bag????? I pulled them out individually and placed them in my tank. The fish went nuts hunting them down!

There is no need to harvest them. A refugium is suppose to be a place where these critters can take refuge. As they reproduce, their offspring will flow into the display.

so I should probably remove the sponge filters from my Eheim's to allow them to pass?

There are plenty of 'pods in my HOB refugium and they seem to flow into my tank, continue reproducing to the point where I can see them on the glass, then the next day, they are all gone.

I don't know about paying $20 for them as my cheato came with plenty of them in there already.

my handfull of cheato came with a bunch of pods too. now my whole tank is teaming with various pods. i dont have anything in the tank that prey on them, but they all came from the cheato in my fuge. when i used to have a fluval 404 can filter as a return pump it used to be full of pods all the time.

• 6 months later...

I agree with this. It possibly couple block pods from going into the main display but more likely is it turns into a nitrate party.

They are microscopic at first and nothing can really get in the way. Personally. I would remove the sponge any way. Any extra sponges/filter floss is just going to be a place for nitrates to propagate.