ARC Meeting 11/11/2017 10:00 am -11:30 am

brian.srock

Meeting RSVP (helps us estimate headcount)  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay!!!! Don’t forget the softies for the non-sps people. [emoji7][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You could always throw one or two sticks in there and have a mixed reef best of both worlds

I will be trying to make it too. I can bring some small ora chips Acro frags if anyone is interested

6 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Did I miss the RSVP anywhere? Am I supposed to RSVP? Do we know how many people are attending yet? I may bring some free frags too if there isnt like 100 people coming. emoji3.png

Yes, the RSVP poll is at the top of this thread (and there is an RSVP on the FB page as well).

You could always throw one or two sticks in there and have a mixed reef best of both worlds

I will be trying to make it too. I can bring some small ora chips Acro frags if anyone is interested

Shawn, I’ve tried... I have no luck with sps. I’m a lazy reefer and don’t test my water enough to keep up with the nutrients sps need. I am looking into dosing and the triton method to broaden my horizons. [emoji6].

Shawn, I’ve tried... I have no luck with sps. I’m a lazy reefer and don’t test my water enough to keep up with the nutrients sps need. I am looking into dosing and the triton method to broaden my horizons. [emoji6].

Just simple water changes should take care of most of it. Its only when you start growing larger colonies or have a ton of frags that you need to look into dosing. Triton is a lot of work and wildly expensive in my opinion.

• mFrame changed the title to ARC Meeting 11/11/2017 10:00 am -11:30 am
On 11/8/2017 at 7:19 AM, Christyef said:

Shawn, I’ve tried... I have no luck with sps. I’m a lazy reefer and don’t test my water enough to keep up with the nutrients sps need. I am looking into dosing and the triton method to broaden my horizons. emoji6.png.

I would be more concerned with maintaining levels of alk/Ca/Mg and trace elements than nutrients if I were looking to eventually keep SPS. As Ty said, regular water changes will keep SPS happy enough until you have large populations of corals, in which case you'll need to pick a method to regularly supplement the tank water with the necessary minerals and elements for skeletal growth.

I agree with Ty, the Triton method is expensive and more work than most other methods of tank husbandry. I would rather perform weekly water changes and manual Alk/Ca dosing than keeping with up the Triton method :hmm: All things we can discuss at the meeting. Ty and I are proponents of the calcium reactor, but I also run two part dosing on my QT tank.

Mike, am I allowed to post this in Austin reefers? The FB page? Some people I’m friends with there aren’t on ARC. And also, to any newbies, I have leather frags, Kenya tree, Xenia (who the H-E-double hockey sticks wants that), and some mushroom frags I could share. Some easy beginner corals that are pretty hardy

It is on the ARC facebook page as an event but you can post where ever you think is relevant. Wouldn't want to exclude someone that didn't get the memo.

Oh, thank you! I must’ve over looked it! Excited to see everyone!

Hope to see everyone today. When you arrive you will see the church on steck if you are coming from 183 and you will take a right to get into the parking lot and you will see a big welcome sign. Go through those doors, take a left and you should see us to the right. We have signage and maps but if you get lost just ask someone for the MPC.

3838 Steck Ave, Austin, TX 78759

Morning. Short notice, but if anyone wants to get rid of asterina stars I’ll take them to feed my harlequin shrimp. Didn’t even think of it until just now. See y’all there!

54 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

What a fun meeting! Happy to see so many new faces!

Yeah, I can't express how wonderful it was to see everyone. Y'all have been beyond helpful getting me going. Special thanks to Ty for the M. digitata and Cyphastrea and to Christy for the frag I got from you! Christy, you're going to have to remind me what they were. I still suck at identifying corals until I own one and then it starts to stick in my brain. By the time i got it from you, my head had run out of room to remember anything. There were two things on the frag I got from you. Do you recall what they were?

This was my first time out to a meeting, and I had a great time. It was nice to meet you all, and i look forward to more gatherings. Thank you, Ty, for the frags. That plate you gave me is awesome. I've been wanting one for a little while now. the polyps look so cool flowing in the current.

Thanks for the presentation and the free frags!

It was great to meet some new people and put some user names to faces
Glad you made it and hopefully the tester frags treat you well!
This was my first time out to a meeting, and I had a great time. It was nice to meet you all, and i look forward to more gatherings. Thank you, Ty, for the frags. That plate you gave me is awesome. I've been wanting one for a little while now. the polyps look so cool flowing in the current.
You're very welcome. I'm glad you guys made it out! I wasn't kidding when I said the fungia plate was still one of my favorite corals. Watching it eat is just pure entertainment.

I'll make sure to wear overalls and a straw hat at the next meeting. [emoji241][emoji237][emoji230][emoji239]

I had fun also. Was great to see everyone. And learn so much. Thank u, Ty for the frags.... fingers crossed I do them well. Paula, I’m sorry, but also can’t remember exactly which Tupperware you took but know it has to be a red mushroom, GSP(green star polyp), pulsing Xenia, or a leather. Those were the only ones I took. If you want to pm me a
Picture I can tell you exactly and even show you the huge pieces they can turn into. Lol

Archived