All Corals Retracted

tmelhiser

post-665-1219286431_thumb.jpg

In the last 2 days, all the corals seem to be retracting. I'm not sure what is going on with them? The Xenia has a white spot on the stalk that has me concerned. It seems to be peeling away at that point with a yellowish flesh scab. The Xenia was the first to show signs of being ill, now all but the Green Star Polyp are looking ill. The Torch Coral is retracted all the way back into its skeleton (first time that has happened ever... not even when I first placed him in the tank did that happen). Anyway, on with the list of critters and statistics.

Any ideas are welcome!

Tank:

29 Gallon BioCube

Live Sand

Live Rock

Coral List:

1 Torch Coral

1 Bubble Coral

1 Green Star Polyp (he's still open)

1 Large Xenia

1 Green Brain Coral

2 Large Zoa Colonies

2 Unknown -- look kinda like the fungus that grows out from the side of trees (it's the one at the top right of this photo)

Fish:

2 False Perculas

2 Yellow Tail Damsels

2 Fire Shrimp

an assortment of snails

The water:

Phosphate: .25

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: 440

KH(Alkaline): 8.5 (150)

pH: 8.4

Thanks for the reply... I think the temp might have something to do with it.

I did a 5g water change today, and warmed the tank to 77-79 instead of the normal 75-77.

On another note, I brought the Xenia into a LFS, and I think my suspicions were confirmed. They seemed to think it was a fungas/parasite as well.... so I did a iodine dip. I just hope I got it in time.. he was pretty ill.

With the trip to the LFS, the iodine dip, a water change, and back into the tank, I am actually VERY VERY surprised that the Xenia is still going... he started expanding and pulsing a bit late this evening. It gives me hope, but anything I can do to make his life easier, let me know.

I plan to do another 5g change tomorrow evening.... and do an iodine / phytoplantkton addition in the evening.

Thanks again,

-T

I would try to get your temp more stable. A 1-2 degree swing at most. I personally keep my tank at 79. 75 is a bit cold in my opinion.

Xenia is tough stuff. I think the iodine dip was a good idea. Hopefully it will pull through.

I would try to get your temp more stable. A 1-2 degree swing at most. I personally keep my tank at 79. 75 is a bit cold in my opinion.

Xenia is tough stuff. I think the iodine dip was a good idea. Hopefully it will pull through.

My BioCube tends to run pretty warm. So it's been tough keeping it under 80. I would love to keep it at a steady 79, but I find that when I try to keep it there, the lights during the day heat the system up too high... about 81.

-T

Archived