My Fish are bullys

AndrewT

So this weekend I went out to buy some new fish for my tank. I currently have 2 black perculas 1 coral beauty and a fire fish. For the longest time ive debated on what fish I would add next. Ive wanted to add a blue hippo and a bi color angel for the longest, and after much debate i decided to go for it. I knew that i would have some trouble mixing the two angels, but after talking to several people I had heard that it was very hit and miss and that it was actuaally possible to have the two together. I got home turned the lights out, acclimated the tang and the bi color, and after about 20 min i opened them up and put them in. I left the lights off for a while, and then when i did turn them on i made sure to dump a generous amount of food to distract the other fish. As soon as the coral beauty relized the bi color was in the tank he went after it. Long storry short he basically went after one then the other. He beat them up beyond salvation. After a day they were both gone. Since this happened I have no clue if I will ever attempt to add more fish again. Is there anything I could add that I wouldnt have to worry about the coral beauty????

Sorry to hear about your loss. It is always hard adding new fish when you have a semi-aggressive fish like the coral beauty. I have to say that you should definitely not try another Tang. A 55 is way to small for one! Your best option on trying to add any more fish would be to get fish that are a totally different shape than the angel. Then add them with lights out and leave the lights out over night. Another thing that seems to help is change the rocks around some that night. It seems to make the old fish think they are in a new tank and not be so territorial. HTH.

Well i got the tang because it was a baby and i figured that i would have it for a while before he outgrew my tank. He was about the size of a nickle. How long would a tang that small take to out grow a 55? Ive also noticed that the black percs are a little aggressive too. I had two other clowns and the black percs kicked them out of thier anenomes and then killed them. What would be good to add that I wont have to worry about them out growing the tank and or getting picked on by the clowns or coral beauty im hoping to find something with good color to add. Thanks for the help

Another night owl I see! :D

A nickel!?! I doubt that fish would have survived in any tank. I can't believe they are collecting them that small. Have you looked into Fairy Wrasses? Incredible color and very active. Be careful if you don't have a top though as they can be jumpers.

more like insomniac...haha. Maybe it was a quarter. Hmmm either way it was super tiny. I just wasnt sure if he died because he was getting picked on or he was just way to small to survive a sudden change, or both. Yeah im thinking maybe a lepord wrase and maybe a lawnmower blenny. Ive seen some dwarf lions too. How do you think those would pan out in the tank. Id really like to get a bigger tank but just dont have the room.

Thanks for the help

Leopard Wrasses are awesome. I used to have one. Just make sure it is eating prepared food before buying one as they are hard to get eating. I think a 55 is big enough for a Dwarf Lion. Problem is he may think your Fire fish and clowns would make a good meal.

Archived