Question, if I buy a piece of SPS from a store or fellow reefer I usually try to find out what lighting it was placed under. But I think I should be asking what are the water parameters they were grown in. I would think if you buy a piece that is grown in Alk of 7.5 and drop it in a tank with a Alk of 9.5 this would shock the crap out of them. We all have had issues were the KH has dropped below par by accident and have seen the results. So what is the best way to acclimate them to the tank? Or am I overthinking this. 

Water parameters from tank to tank will ALWAYS differ in some way. The likelihood of you being able to match the coral's previous environment perfectly is pretty slim I would say.

Back when I was heavy into SPS, I started by acclimating the coral to temperature and setting it close to the bottom of the tank to acclimate it to my lighting. Now, if I know a coral came from a tank with super high lighting and that is what it thrived under, I will put it higher up so I don't completely shock it. 

Just make sure your parameters are in a healthy range. :)

I never drip acclimate or the such.  I just float it to temp acclimate it, dip it and toss it in.  Unless I know a piece is coming from a MH rig I always start them off to the side.

Just now, Reburn said:

I never drop acclimate or the such.  I just dip it and toss it it.  Unless I know a piece is coming from a MH rig I always start them off to the side.

Well thats because your tank is like liquid gold Reburn, everything you put in turns to gold. lol!

its a balance... the acclimation process itself could be more stressful... might as well stress it once quick, instead of stress it over on hour.  theres many articles claiming one way or another is better... so its really up to your judgement.  If you've followed @FarmerTy and his dip crazy thread... you really end up just floating it to temp, doing the dips, then throwing it in the tank! :) 

• 1 month later...

So, here's a question for all of you.  I just moved all my lps out of my 66g in order to change it over to sps.  Should I go ahead and start increasing the light intensity to get it up to where it needs to be then start adding frags or should I go ahead and start adding frags while I'm increasing?

Archived