Reeftronics ending service 3/4/17

https://www.reeftronics.net/  I've emailed russ to see if he's willing to share the code for club use, maybe I'll be able to set one up for us :)

The Future of Reeftronics

Updated February 2017

Reeftronics began about 8 years ago as a free service to the reefkeeping community. Oh, things have changed since then! The Apex and ReefAngel controllers were released, APEX Fusion and the RA Portal went live, another system similar to Reeftronics came and then disappeared, and more. The controller landscape has changed drastically!

I have enhanced Reeftronics many times over the years to continue to support Neptune and RA controllers as these product lines grew and evolved, and conversely, I have retired several of the online tools here which were focused on the Apex because Neptune added equivalent functionality into APEX Fusion. Now, Neptune has further enhanced APEX Fusion with a Heartbeat function; that functionality became available to all Apex users in January. APEX Fusion Heartbeat is similar in function to the polling and notification system here; if the system detects a loss of communications with an Apex, a series of notifications (email and/or text messages) will be sent. This notification system upon loss of communications has been the biggest benefit to being a Reeftronics member. But Neptune’s Heartbeat function is even better than mine, and I encourage all current Reeftronics members who have Apexes to start using Heartbeat immediately.

Currently, over 90% of Reeftronics members use Apex controllers, and membership for pre-Apex Neptune, Digital Aquatics, and ReefAngel controllers continues to decrease both in proportion to the number of Apex users and in absolute quantity. In light of the heavy predominance of Apex users here on Reeftronics and with APEX Fusion Heartbeat now being available, the single-most important function of Reeftronics has become redundant for more than 90% of members. Also, membership overall has been declining; today, it is barely half what it was a few years ago. Consequently, I have made the difficult decision to discontinue all membership aspects of Reeftronics. As the first step of that process, Reeftronics stopped accepting new or returning members the last week of December.

Over the weekend of March 4-5, 2017, Reeftronics will undergo a major transformation. Most of Reeftronics will be retired, and what remains will be moved to a much smaller server. The extremely-popular APEX Dosing Program Generator will definitely be retained.

Reeftronics Members, if you have hyperlinks to your Reeftronics pages anywhere, such as on your own web site, in your social media home or profile pages, or have Reeftronics links in forum signatures, please remove them; they will not work after next weekend.

Archived