120 tall build

HarleyGuy

Here is a high level list of the hardware that I've collected for this 120 gallon reef tank (not including tons of other smaller HW, chemicals, details). I started with a very different list, but with the feedback and knowledge gained from this club, here is what I came up with at this point :D:

John's 120 Gallon Reef Configuration
Category Vendor Item Amt Detail
Tank Glass Cages 120 gal Tall 1 48"x18"x31", Reef ready, 2 x 1" drains, 1 x 1" return,
Low iron glass in front, 1/2" glass, euro bracing top & bottom
Stand Gig'em 48x18x36" Tube Steel Stand 1 48" x 18" x 36" Tall, 2 x 2 - 12 gauge square tube construction, Tig welded, tabs for wood back and sides inside stand, 5 x 1000 lb capacity adjustable leveling feet, black powder coat
Stand Wood Cover Lowes 1/2" Hardwood Panels 3 I'll pickup some hardwood panels at lowes, cut and finish them, and add magnets to attach to the stand
Tank Lighting  Kessil A360we 2 Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue LED Aquarium Light - Wide Angle,
24" surface diameter by 3' penetration 
Sump Trigger Systems Ruby 36 1 36 gallon three section sump with refugium
ATO Reservoir Trigger Systems Ruby 10 Gal 1 Ruby ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir - Trigger Systems
ATO System JBJ ATO Controller 1 JBJ A.T.O. Water Level Controller
Refugium Light JBJ Nano Glo 1 JBJ NANO GLO - LED Refugium Light
Return Pump Jebao DCT 12000 1 DC return pump 3170gph driving a manifold and 2 reactors
Skimmer Skimz SV203 Oval 1 Skimz Oval SV203 DC Internal Protein Skimmer
GFO/Carbon Reactor BRS  GFO/Carbon Reactor 1 BRS 10" single reactor
Biopellet Reactor Reef Octopus BR 110 biopellet reactor 1 BR-110 Biopellet Reactor - Reef Octopus , 700ml capacity 
Wavemaker Pumps Tunze Turbelle 6095 2 Tunze Turbelle 6095 wavemakers x2 2510gph
Reef Controller Neptune Apex 1 Apex Classic Controller with Lab-Grade pH Probe
Dosing System Neptune DOS 1 DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System - Neptune Systems
Dosing Reservoirs Neptune  DDR 1 DOS Dual Reservoir DDR - Neptune Systems
Dry Rock Marco Rocks Key largo rock 60 lbs 60lbs Key Largo rock 1 side cut flat
Dry Rock BRS  Pukani 50 lbs 50 lbs jumbo Pukani dry rock
Sand CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive 210 lbs
6" - deep sand bed - required 210 lbs of sand

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, (this will make Dan happy) instead of AI Hydra's I picked up two x Kessil A360w's at a discount ($700 for both). I'll tie these into my Apex.  
They are a bit pricey, but I couldn't ignore the years of excellent home reef results and great customer service.

Kessils are awesome! Good choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Here are pics of the new stand built by Gig'em. It's black powder-coated heavy gauge tig-welded square tube, with adjustable stainless feet, each adjustable foot will hold 1,000 lbs. (a little overkill never hurt anyone ;))...  I'll start building the wood top, bottom, (and possibly sides tomorrow). This tank needs a layer of foam on the top of the stand. Any recommendations for that?

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

I used 1/4" for my 180 gallon, but it has the Reef Savvy phantom bottom, which is supposed to allow you to use thinner neoprene.  You might message Reburn to see how thick he used on his.  It's a solid glass bottom.   I don't know anyone else with a rimless that you could ask, but I'm sure there are others.

The vendor - Glass cages - says 3/4" of Styrofoam. But Styrofoam will hold water and mold.

This is a 48" x 31" tall 120 gal rimmed tank, with 1/2" glass (thick) and euro-bracing. Its built like a tank (Sherman type lol).

I want to use something that won't hold water, but also won't put undue stress on the bottom glass and crack it.

I know Reburn put some kind of special foam under his.  Can't remember the specifics, but it was not neoprene, and also not plain styrofoam.  It's probably worth asking him ....

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, jolt said:

Yes, I ordered one with a clear door yesterday. I'll order that mounting board - that is cool, thanks!

Here is a first pass on the wood. This is 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. I'm going to pre-mount everything inside and out before painting. The question I have is on venting. Should I cut two large holes out of the back panel or maybe install a PC fan to vent the inside? I'm not sure if this cabinet will even get hot in my air-conditioned house? Comments?

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

46 minutes ago, HarleyGuy said:

Any comments on whether I should cut cooling windows into this stand? 

I'll be putting a front board on as well with magnets and that will completely close up the stand.

if you are going to have a controller, it depends where you are mounting it.  if its in there w/ the sump, you'll want one to reduce the humidity in there, electronics n all.  stand lookin good!

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

if you are going to have a controller, it depends where you are mounting it.  if its in there w/ the sump, you'll want one to reduce the humidity in there, electronics n all.  stand lookin good!

Also, if you are going to put power supplies for lights and/or dc pumps in there it can really build up heat, which will transfer into the tank through the sump.  I put these in my electronics area, and am pleased with the result:

fan

controller

vent

I put the fan up high and the vent down low in the back to move air in through the vent and out through the fan

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

I have an Apex and because of lack of space I'm mounting that and any other controllers in an external electronics box on the left side of the stand. The box has a clear door which will help with visibility to any indicators. I may put the Apex Energy Bar in there as well.

I will have a Tripp Lite surge protector/power strip on the top of the back wall of the stand as well as an overhead stand light, and LED sump light. So there will be some electronics inside the stand that over time could be negatively affected by the humidity and salt spray.

I could run a computer fan as an exhaust fan to pull air thru the cabinet. Something like this maybe: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AXIAL-Muffin-Cooling/dp/B009OWVUJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490106150&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+fan+110v

Switch that, I'll use the fan that Jolt recommended for exhaust. Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009COAEUG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

I'm thinking of a computer cabinet grill on the other side to enhance the cabinet look. Something like this maybe? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010FBZZFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

I like that Fan controller as well, but need to see if my Apex will do the same??

the second one is similar to what i have.  I also use the apex to control its speed. its usually running at 90% for noise reduction.  wire the usb power port through a 0-10v dimmer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009COQYA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: its running at 93%.  around 94/95 it started making noise

50 minutes ago, HarleyGuy said:

Switch that, I'll use the fan that Jolt recommended for exhaust. Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009COAEUG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

I'm thinking of a computer cabinet grill on the other side to enhance the cabinet look. Something like this maybe? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010FBZZFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

I like that Fan controller as well, but need to see if my Apex will do the same??

The fan will blow exhaust out of the side that already has the plate on it.  Any extra plate would go on the suction side, which is for me on the inside of my cabinet.

Exactly, I'm planning on mounting a fan to pull cool air through the cabinet, in through the vent on the left of the cabinet and exhaust the heat out through the fan on the right. 

I maybe need to cut a slot in the back of the cabinet to run cables, if so I won't need the vent, but would still include the cooling fan to pull air through the cabinet.   

Archived