ARC 2017 Site Update complete

Welcome!  The site update has been completed.  There are still a few bugs to work out, so we could use your help.  Please report issues you see in this thread and we'll work to resolve them as quickly as possible.

The first, most obvious change regards user names.  PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING IN. The old software supported having a login name and a display name.  That went away in the update, so you now login using what was previoiusly your Display Name.  Your password should remain unchanged.  

If you just can't make it work, feel free to email us at austinreefclub at gmail.com and we'll help you via email.

Thanks for your patience!  As activity picks up today we'll start letting you know about some of the improved design and features the new software provides us!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll continue by saying we had a LOT of content on the old platform.  The actual software conversion is done, but there are several processes still running to update and migrate the historical data over.  Don't be alarmed if you don't see your historical content just yet, the migration process should be completed over the next few days.  Until then feel free to continue to use the site and add new stuff.

One of the first new features we'll highlight is Blogs.  Sure, we all had one way back when, but these are blogs with a twist.  Rather than having to host your own site separately, you can now home your own blog here to have all your reef-related content can stay in one place.  Track your tank build, keep an aquarium diary, talk about new livestock or hardware additions, the sky's the limit.  Your blog is not a discussion thread, but your own little space within ARC.  That said, with blogs you'll notice a few changes in regards to moderation.  What you write in your blog is your opinion, not ARC's.  While we'll still moderate attacks on other members and sponsors or blatantly offensive content, but otherwise your blog provides a place where you can write honest product reviews or other content you'd like to share.  

Being a new feature I'm sure there will be questions of how it all works, but it's one way that ARC is striving to improve the way we communicate and share information.

• mFrame changed the title to ARC 2017 Site Update complete

I've added a few new themes in case you want to customize your color scheme.  I'm open to adding more if there's something in particular you would like to request.  I'd rather use Free or purchase outright, so please keep in mind some have ongoing subscriptions costs for the club.  Some don't work or don't work right with our version of the site software, so I'll yank the ones that look bad. You can check them out here:

https://invisionpower.com/files/category/162-themes/

To change your site theme just scroll to the bottom of the site and click the down error next to "Theme" at the bottom.

I'll continue by saying we had a LOT of content on the old platform.  The actual software conversion is done, but there are several processes still running to update and migrate the historical data over.  Don't be alarmed if you don't see your historical content just yet, the migration process should be completed over the next few days.  Until then feel free to continue to use the site and add new stuff.
One of the first new features we'll highlight is Blogs.  Sure, we all had one way back when, but these are blogs with a twist.  Rather than having to host your own site separately, you can now home your own blog here to have all your reef-related content can stay in one place.  Track your tank build, keep an aquarium diary, talk about new livestock or hardware additions, the sky's the limit.  Your blog is not a discussion thread, but your own little space within ARC.  That said, with blogs you'll notice a few changes in regards to moderation.  What you write in your blog is your opinion, not ARC's.  While we'll still moderate attacks on other members and sponsors or blatantly offensive content, but otherwise your blog provides a place where you can write honest product reviews or other content you'd like to share.  
Being a new feature I'm sure there will be questions of how it all works, but it's one way that ARC is striving to improve the way we communicate and share information.

As long as my mega thread came over in the update... That's all I care about. [emoji23]

I am definitely liking the new software!

14 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

How do you turn off email notification when someone posts a new thread?

Check out your notification settings here.  Be sure to scroll down to see the full list, but it should allow you to tailor it to how you want it.

14 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Is there a view where I can see updated threads w/o seeing every single update?

Right now on http://www.austinreefclub.com/discover/, 90% of the page is a single thread w/ 20 new posts.

2mzy55l.jpg

Look for the "results as" at the top right of that page. You can pick "Expanded" which is the detail view you're seeing, or "Condensed", which is similar to the old view.

8 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

As long as my mega thread came over in the update... That's all I care about. emoji23.png

I am definitely liking the new software!

I assume you checked and it did come over ok?

50 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Look for the "results as" at the top right of that page. You can pick "Expanded" which is the detail view you're seeing, or "Condensed", which is similar to the old view.

That is the Condensed view.  The Expanded view shows a preview of each post.

20arjpu.png

46 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

That is the Condensed view.  The Expanded view shows a preview of each post.

20arjpu.png

Yeah, sorry, saw that after I started looking.  I'll see if there's a mod to summarize all activity in a single thread

1 hour ago, BobcatReefer said:

Thanks Mike!  Always plenty of new buttons/settings w/ new board software.

Yeah, still a lot of things to learn, but feedback has been very positive.  I'd love to hear from those of you who are using new features to see which you like the best.  (Yes Ty, I know you love Tapatalk!)

14 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Is there a view where I can see updated threads w/o seeing every single update?

Right now on http://www.austinreefclub.com/discover/, 90% of the page is a single thread w/ 20 new posts.

Check out this post...

there are a few screenshots in there showing you how to setup "activity streams" which mimic the old "view new posts" and "my content" links from before.  you dont have to do everything in that post, just setup new streams for yourself :)

11 hours ago, mFrame said:

Check out your notification settings here.  Be sure to scroll down to see the full list, but it should allow you to tailor it to how you want it.

The problem is the option we want to use is disabled. I want to be able to turn off "Someone comments on something I follow"

I cannot use that toggle at all. I'm still getting overrun by emails from threads I follow. Attached is a screenshot of the toggle, it's grayed out for us. I'm guessing as an admin it works for you but we can't use it.

emails.PNG

2 hours ago, jestep said:

The problem is the option we want to use is disabled. I want to be able to turn off "Someone comments on something I follow"

I cannot use that toggle at all. I'm still getting overrun by emails from threads I follow. Attached is a screenshot of the toggle, it's grayed out for us. I'm guessing as an admin it works for you but we can't use it.

emails.PNG

Yep, you're correct. I've modified the permissions, let me know if you're able to make the changes you want now.

12 hours ago, Isaac said:

Check out this post...

there are a few screenshots in there showing you how to setup "activity streams" which mimic the old "view new posts" and "my content" links from before.  you dont have to do everything in that post, just setup new streams for yourself :)

Yes, there are a few "Stream" types now:

You can also create your own if you want to mix and match:

Building on what mike said, the trick is to use "show me: items only" to just see the topics.  if you leave it as the details, it will show you every new post in chronological order, not just the thread which have new posts.  its much more flexible for sure, but if you are not used to it, its a headache :)

51 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Yep, you're correct. I've modified the permissions, let me know if you're able to make the changes you want now.

That did it, thank you. New interface will take a little time to get used to, but that was the only real problem I was having with it.

Archived