Thinking about going fish only

Entropy

It is about time to change out the halides and I am thinking of just going fish only since I only have a couple of expendable zoo colonies and a GBTA that would be simple to remove to a better home. Anyone running inexpensive lighting over a fish only? I was thinking of just swapping out the 250w halides with the 100w equivalent compact flourescent bulbs (5000k color). I think the draw about 26 watts each. I am not sure what the color would look like but they are pretty bluish white in my mom's kitchen. I would keep my T5 actinic and maybe add another (just need a bulb). It would save me the $150 in replacement bulbs, plus about $35 a month in electricity, but I am just wondering how the fish will handle it?

It is about time to change out the halides and I am thinking of just going fish only since I only have a couple of expendable zoo colonies and a GBTA that would be simple to remove to a better home. Anyone running inexpensive lighting over a fish only? I was thinking of just swapping out the 250w halides with the 100w equivalent compact flourescent bulbs (5000k color). I think the draw about 26 watts each. I am not sure what the color would look like but they are pretty bluish white in my mom's kitchen. I would keep my T5 actinic and maybe add another (just need a bulb). It would save me the $150 in replacement bulbs, plus about $35 a month in electricity, but I am just wondering how the fish will handle it?

$35/mo in electricity from MH lights? Wow...I didn't know they drew that much current.

$35/mo in electricity from MH lights? Wow...I didn't know they drew that much current.

They don't. Not sure what I was doing with my calculator last night, but it came out different (correct) this morning. :lol:

500w (250wx2) x 7 hours x 30 days / 1000 (kilowatt/hour) x $0.157 = $16.49

I am pretty sure both my ballasts drive the bulbs a little less than 250w (IceCap and ARO), so the input power is probably pretty accurate at 250w each.

I am going to have to do some thinking and see how much I can simplify my system. Currently I have:

Rio2100 pump @ 37w (24 hours)

Koralia 4 @ 11w (24 hours)

MJ1200 @ 23w (24 hours)

T5 Actinic 2 32w (2 hours)

250w Halide 250w (7 hours)

250w Halide 250w (7 hours)

Phosban Reactor 12w (24 hours)

Heater (250w) (0 hours currently)

Reefkeeper II (2w) (24 hours)

I secretly dream about a freshwater community tank with just the return pump and a single T5 light, but fortunately it usually passes.

That is what I am thinking as well James. They have 5500k bulbs that are not too bad in color and mixed with the T5 actnic it looks pretty good. I want it bright enough that the fish stand out at least. I figure the coralline will do fine, but the anemone and little zoo colonies will have to go.