Weird worm???

dpotts

Last night while adding un-cured live rock to my new tank, I noticed a wierd worm...at least I think it was a worm. It was worm-like but flat. It was pink/orange in colour but had hair (maybe legs) all the way around the edges. It also had a rounded end! I did not remove it...thought it would be better to leave it alone. What the heck was that? Is it okay to leave it in the new tank?

Thanks,

Deanna

Thanks. Will it die while my tank cycles?

Probably not. They are pretty tough. I have mixed feelings about them. Yes, they do some clean up, but they can also get pretty big (not too unusual to see them 4 or 5 inches long in my tank) and it does hurt when you accidentally touch them. The spines are like small cactus thorns. I'm always getting stung when I go to pick up a rock in my tank.

I had a picture of my finger with bristleworm thorns in it, but I can't find it right now.

Found them! Lets see if I can attach the picture. post-28-1216657596_thumb.jpg

Cool! It worked. Here's one with less magnification. You can see the line where I put my finger down on it! :unsure:

post-28-1216657768_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeeperKeeper

Found them! Lets see if I can attach the picture. post-28-1216657596_thumb.jpg

That's impressive. Personally, I remove them when I'm able, just to keep their numbers reduced. I think they tend to irritate my ricordeas when they squirrel around in and out of the rocks they are attached to. About 90% of the time I spot a bristleworm making a home in the rock near my rics, they usually detach soon after. Could be a coincidence ...