MAAST HACKED!

dapettit

I just went there for the first time in a very long time and got the message that the server was down or something. I wondered if they had just changed web addresses since it had been so long since I'd used my bookmark.

I came here to see if there was any word about what happened. I thought I might find a post a few months old about MAAST moving, but I didn't expect to see the post about it in the Emergency forum. I was looking in announcements and general discussions, etc. Found this when I clicked on recent posts.

Well, hopefully they'll get it up and going again soon. Meanwhile, I like ARC.

Script kiddies exploiting Vbulletin. This kid says he did it to inform the maast admin that his site was insecure. Which is bull. If he was so concerned about his security he should have sent an email to the maast admin and not deface the site. Technically, it's not really a hack, more like vandalism. Hopefully the punk didn't use a proxy. =)

Ok so not hacked.

I made the post because I know a lot of ARC members are also MAAST members. It appears the sit is up.

Geez what people will do when they are board. . .

LOL semantics. Sorry. Exploited, hacked, defaced. All relative terms, I suppose. You're right. I try to avoid complimenting an attacker by not calling such an act a "hack". When you reduce their acts to terms like "vandalism" there's a 50/50 chance it might shame them a little. :|

Events like this, as unfortunate as they are, often inspire other admins in the community to harden their servers and applications so it's tougher for some punk to mess things up. Luckily, the attacker didn't appear to mess with the data, although I read reports of the VB app sending emails out to members. All I know is that around 4am I was trying to read an article on their site then next thing I know, the browser window is doing a circular dance onscreen and then animated some lame message. Thought I was trippin' for a second until I realized what was going on. If you ever spot anything suspicious here at ARC, contact Andrew ASAP. =)