Yet another salt mixing question

dapettit

Ok,

We've been mixing my own salt since May of this year. The last two times we've mixed salt there was grey accumlitaion of matter at the bottom of the barrel and a brown film on the inside of the barrel. The barrel is from Ausitn Home Brew and has been cleaned throughly with vinager water and power washed several times. Since I noticed the film I power wash it each time I mix salt. My corals and fish are fine and growing like weeds.

We are using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Any one else seeing this? Is this normal?

Here are my params of the mixed salt:

Added Epsom salt to bring the Mg up to 1400 and 1/8 cup of B-Ionics Part A to bring dkH up to 9°.

Temp - 79.5

pH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate ppm - 0

Ammonia - 0

Phosphate - 0

dKH - 7°

Alkalinity ppm - 125.3

Calcium - 480

Mg - 1250

Hey Dave,

Same thing here, at first I thought it must be dust but now that you mentioned it, I'm not the only one that noticed it. No ill effects on our reef tank. Robert thinks it might be some sort of mineral residue, but of what!? :unsure:

-Cindy-

I get the same buildup. I notice a small amount of stuff, looks like sand with some shiny, metallic looking bits mixed in, in the bottom too. I've read on RC about other folks getting the same crud so I'm guessing it's normal.

Those numbers look close to what I get too.