White tips on SPS - what's the dealio, yo?

These two pieces are looking like they could be happier.

This one was from the frag-meet at Just Reef, and it seems to be growing, but the whiteness also seems to be advancing.

cff1879a8f97a0db958ccab57712ab16.jpg

ea8ed6dace194c7f3c0ac3c4668218fd.jpg

This one was from C4, and I'm seeing white tips on it as well.

40043790c698492ed2d8dea0cedaf26f.jpg

Parameters:

bae04.png

Setosa definitely looks like alk issues. The other acro looks more like a lighting issue and it's slightly bleaching but it's hard to tell especially since it's not uncommon for corals to change colors when changing environments.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like alk burn to me. What is your alkalinity at and has it changed recently? I don't think I've ever seen white tips on my setosa except when something is wrong.

I'm assuming Alk burn would be from too much Alk, yes? Looks more like my issue has been keeping it up (that's what she said?) than too much.

Parameters:

bae04.png

The other acro looks more like a lighting issue and it's slightly bleaching but it's hard to tell especially since it's not uncommon for corals to change colors when changing environments.

He's been in there a couple of months now, and it seems to be getting worse. What kind of lighting issue? Too much? I thought I had to keep SPS high up in my tank since I don't have high PAR (think it's around 120-130 where it is).

The other acro looks more like a lighting issue and it's slightly bleaching but it's hard to tell especially since it's not uncommon for corals to change colors when changing environments.

He's been in there a couple of months now, and it seems to be getting worse. What kind of lighting issue? Too much? I thought I had to keep SPS high up in my tank since I don't have high PAR (think it's around 120-130 where it is).

Would be too high of light, but completely agree on getting the alk stable before worrying about anything else.

Alk burn... are you running any sort of carbon dosing? Vodka? Biopellets? You'll usually get that type of burn when your nutrients are too low and your alk above 8.0 dKh. Aim for about 5-10 nitrates and 0.03-0.08 ppm phosphates for SPS. There is literally not enough nutrients for the fleshy growth to keep up with the deposition of calcium carbonate and the result is the white tips you are probably seeing.

Personally, I'd never had an issue with too low phosphates. It's your zero nitrates that are the issue. I'd leave the reactor as is.

Maybe feed more or start dosing aminos or potassium nitrate in the tank to bring up your nitrate levels.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like alk burn to me. What is your alkalinity at and has it changed recently? I don't think I've ever seen white tips on my setosa except when something is wrong.

I'm assuming Alk burn would be from too much Alk, yes? Looks more like my issue has been keeping it up (that's what she said?) than too much.

Parameters:

bae04.png

A swing of 0.75 dKH up or down is enough to cause it. It looks like you've had a few swings of >1 dKH in September to October. Are you aiming for 10 dKH?

Alk burn... are you running any sort of carbon dosing? Vodka? Biopellets? You'll usually get that type of burn when your nutrients are too low and your alk above 8.0 dKh. Aim for about 5-10 nitrates and 0.03-0.08 ppm phosphates for SPS. There is literally not enough nutrients for the fleshy growth to keep up with the deposition of calcium carbonate and the result is the white tips you are probably seeing.

This recently happened to me. Two days after ceasing carbon dosing and the corals look better already. Really, I've been fighting ULN for a few months and failed to achieve a balance between dosing and my nitrogen load.

huh...I may have had some poor calculating going on...

My goal parameters were 145-165ppm, which equates to 8.1-9.2, and I'm pretty sure I picked that based on this thread: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/36417-whats-your-alkalinity-level/?

Maybe I should aim for 130-145 (7.26-8.1)?

Everyone keeps their alk at different levels. I think anywhere between 7.5 and 9 is okay as long as you keep it relatively steady. I only asked about your goal because I saw you went above 175 ppm twice. I didn't mean anything by it. My preference is 135-145 ppm.

Oh and Ty, it's 0.056 not 0.56.

tumblr_mugqbyt2mE1s9p5e7o1_500.gif

Everyone keeps their alk at different levels. I think anywhere between 7.5 and 9 is okay as long as you keep it relatively steady. I only asked about your goal because I saw you went above 175 ppm twice. I didn't mean anything by it. My preference is 135-145 ppm.

Oh and Ty, it's 0.056 not 0.56.

tumblr_mugqbyt2mE1s9p5e7o1_500.gif

Huh? Where did I type 0.56? If I did, its a typo. I run that calculation daily so pretty familiar with it. Should be 0.056.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Sascha D., on 28 Mar 2016 - 9:27 PM, said:snapback.png

FarmerTy, on 28 Mar 2016 - 4:02 PM, said:snapback.png

150ppm x 0.56 = 8.4 dKh

Oh,no he diddnit! Haha!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Boom! Knowledge! emoji14.png

Check the link he posted above. I didn't catch it the first time because I use ppm and don't regularly do the calculation.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I'd never had an issue with too low phosphates. It's your zero nitrates that are the issue. I'd leave the reactor as is.

Maybe feed more or start dosing aminos or potassium nitrate in the tank to bring up your nitrate levels.

Started feeding twice a day, algae growth is definitely up, but still zero nitrates.

As far as ALK burn, I stopped the Kalkwasser drip, as I couldn't get it to be a consistent flow and having to fill it up every day is a bit of a beating. Now I'm dosing 15ml Seachem Fusion 2 after lights out and testing every morning between 9a-10a to see if I can find the sweet spot. Letting CA go for now as I'm convinced my testing chems are no good. There's no way I add no CA for a week and the levels bounce back and forth from 400-600, right?

Archived