Jeeps Gone Reef On 300g Build

JasReef

I'm quite confident that happened. Or someone bought a bunch of pieces and forgot the name so they renamed it. I believe there is both. Innocent misidentification and shady business.

The aqua delight and pearlberry aren't exactly the same but they are so similar I will probably only keep one long term. Whichever is the easiest to keep colored and grows the fastest :)

• Like 1

I've seen a whole lot of mariculture colonies in the past year and it's staggering to see all these online vendors who receive the exact same thing, fragging it up, giving it some ridiculous name, and selling each frag for 4x the price of the original mari. Not saying they all do it... But so many of them receive corals from the same importers or from the same area that exporters are collecting from. Many times I'll see a frag under nice actinics with the photo colors enhanced for $90 and think to myself "gee that looks EXACTLY like the mariculture I bought 6 months ago..... I'M RICH!!!"

• Like 1

My biggest problem with those types, i always label them "chopshops" in my head, is they get the mari cultured in and don' spend the time with it to see if it will keep the colors in home aquaria. They just chop them up and sell them quick and the end buyer ends up with browned out coral. The responsible vendors I have talked to keep corals at least 6 months and at best a year to make sure the coral has a consistent color in our home aquaria.

I asked 1 guy at the last swap if a piece was maricultured? He said no, he got it mari and he aquacultured it. For how long? Two months. lol.

Don't get me wrong I am into nice pieces and it is convienent to have a common name so you can communicate about it but it is the buyers burden of due diligence to beware of those who try to turn their hobby into a home business.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with those types, i always label them "chopshops" in my head, is they get the mari cultured in and don' spend the time with it to see if it will keep the colors in home aquaria. They just chop them up and sell them quick and the end buyer ends up with browned out coral. The responsible vendors I have talked to keep corals at least 6 months and at best a year to make sure the coral has a consistent color in our home aquaria.

I asked 1 guy at the last swap if a piece was maricultured? He said no, he got it mari and he aquacultured it. For how long? Two months. lol.

Don't get me wrong I am into nice pieces and it is convienent to have a common name so you can communicate about it but it is the buyers burden of due diligence to beware of those who try to turn their hobby into a home business.

I wholeheartedly agree with you sir. I don't believe a coral is "aquacultured" and fully deemed suitable for an aquarium until it has been kept in captivity and keeping its color for a minimum of half a year+. Anyone can chop shop a colony and have the frags encrusted in a matter of weeks to sell at a swap, but in my experience those corals are the ones that brown out and die within a couple of months. I'm willing to spend the big bucks on the established colorful corals like the Red Planet or Hawkins echinata, but don't be charging me a bunch for something that may or may not retain its color or even survive! That's the best way to drive people away from trying to keep SPS, it's so demoralizing (and bank breaking) to beginners.

Aquacultured typically means completely raised in captivity (fragged and grown out in captivity over multiple generations) whereas mariculture was fragged and grown out in the wild, typically on trays out in the bay or reef flat. Here's a great website of one of the mariculture companies that produces some really nice maricultured colonies.

• Like 2

Typically you can distinguish a mariculture coral from a wild collected coral from the concrete disk they are grown on. Maricultured corals are usually stuck into a handful of concrete formed into a mound or disk whereas the wild corals look like a large chunk of coral that has been broken off at the base or from one end of the colony. If you ever see a large chunk of coral and it's not attached to a concrete disk, but is labeled "mariculture" I'm not sure I would trust that classification. As far as the resiliency of the coral goes, I consider a mariculture typically as resilient as a wild coral since it essentially has always existed in the wild. I have had more luck with maricultures in the long run than wild corals, but neither one of them are as strong as the aquacultured corals that have survived captive conditions for years. Maricultures, like wild corals, may not be as resiliant to changing environmental conditions, will most likely change colors under your artificial lighting conditions, and their growth pattern will also probably change slightly from how they look straight from the supplier.

Sorry for getting off topic, back to the build!

I was just thinking today how I am more stressed than excited because of trying to finish everything to get ready for Thursday. When I was a kid I would not of slept for the last 2 days waiting for this thing but now I'm more thinking it will be here when it gets here. I am a full time student and have been getting hammered with the first tests of the semester as well. I also have a 2 month old baby at home. Between these three I have been very busy the last 2 weeks but it is all good.

I am excited to get things going but I keep coming up with challenges that need solving.

The main one right now is I run my dKH on the low side at around 7.5 and there are not really any salt mixes that go that low. The solution is to slowly bring my corals up to whatever I end up once the new tank is filled and then transfer them. I don't want to lose anything to a rookie mistake that I make.

My sump isn't done yet either. I ordered based on when I thought AGE would be done but they finished a little sooner than I expected. I think it will be done this week. I can't wait to see it.

My quick fixes to the wall look like poo to me so I am also thinking of how I am going to skin the stand and frame around the tank to cover it up.

Getting a new tank is not all giggles but I guess these are just First World Problems, haha, they are great to have!

Thursday at noon is when they are shooting for. Bring it on!!!

Oh yea, once I have it in and things cleaned up a little you are welcome over anytime to see it Chris. That goes for anybody. Thanks