Automatic Alk Monitoring

brian.srock

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah. This may be the real deal guys. Like Ty mentioned in the thread( oh my god, he's everywhere!!) If the design sells I could see it being an "apex ready" offering. just read his cost to produce is $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i kinda read that post sarcastically. as with any prototype, the first costs a crapload, once mass produced, the pricelevels out. imho, lab grade ph probe +20-30bux would be the price point, otherwise, they would be overpricing themselves.

This is the same one I was posting about a few months back. It's legit and has big name testers behind it. Exciting stuff.

oh, is this the one i signed up as a beta and heard nothing back? bastages!

the interviewer on that video clip... is he playing dumb on purpose? some of those questions... ugh... was just hard to watch *lol*

nice to see a demo though!

I didn't want to say anything but... he's not the best interviewer in the world. At least he's trying so can't knock that. People get better with practice.

the interviewer on that video clip... is he playing dumb on purpose? some of those questions... ugh... was just hard to watch *lol*

nice to see a demo though!

Haha yeah I winced a couple of times too. Not everyone is made for the camera, but like Ty said, it takes practice. Does anyone want to take bets on the opening price range of this device? My guess is for sure over $800, if not twice that!

it comes down to how quickly he wants to recoup his research money spent vs gauging market value. if its over 150-200, most people wont bite. How'd I come to this number? a lab ph probe is 60-80? this isnt "just a probe" and has a bunch of internals. The cost to make this thing is probably around 100-ish once the assembly line is built out. If he's got good investors, they'd take on that debt for a lower sale price, knowing they'd recoup it in about a year. higher the price, less buyers, slower recoup... even w/ a higher price. (if it sounds like reaganomics... it is *lol*)

so it really depends on business savvy vs greed.

I don't think the interviewer ever really understood the output from the device is just a ph probe signal, so you will just re-label a ph graph in apex to say "Alkalinity" and base your dosing code off of that. Not a great interview, but his other videos are usually better than this one.

I wonder how long it will take to get this to market. It sounds like he will be teaming up with an existing company, so the ramp up to production will be much shorter than if he tackled this on his own. I'd guess we're still more than a year out though.

My guess for price is $350

Man, you guys are really optimistic on the price! haha.

I guess I spend so much time around scientific equipment I have become callused to insanely high prices. The way I'm thinking about it is you have what looks like a medical grade peri pump on that thing that regularly swaps direction based on the programming. The peri pump alone can easily cost $1,000. Where they get the parts for that will of course determine the price, but even dosing peri pumps for our hobby are around $200-$500 each. Then you also have the sampling components as well. I assume it fills the sampling cell with the test fluid and uses a spectrophotometer to take a baseline, then injects a specific volume of reagent, which is where you'll need a very accurate and precise peri pump to dose the exact same volume each time. Then it would use the spectrophotometer to take a second measurement to determine the alk concentration, and then it needs to empty the sample cell and flush it with a cleaning fluid. Hanna meters are $50, but they don't do all the work for you.

So a precise peri pump that can switch directions and possibly variable speed, an internal spectrophotometer of some kind, the housing, wiring, and reagents, and the programming and software, I can easily see it around or above $800. If hobbyists are willing to spend that much on Apex controllers, why not something that can help monitor and control one of the most important elements in keeping a stony coral reef alive and healthy? I'll be totally jazzed if this thing comes out at under $400, but I'm struggling to see how they could make a profit on it unless the parts are cheap Chinese components....

Man, you guys are really optimistic on the price! haha.

I guess I spend so much time around scientific equipment I have become callused to insanely high prices. The way I'm thinking about it is you have what looks like a medical grade peri pump on that thing that regularly swaps direction based on the programming. The peri pump alone can easily cost $1,000. Where they get the parts for that will of course determine the price, but even dosing peri pumps for our hobby are around $200-$500 each. Then you also have the sampling components as well. I assume it fills the sampling cell with the test fluid and uses a spectrophotometer to take a baseline, then injects a specific volume of reagent, which is where you'll need a very accurate and precise peri pump to dose the exact same volume each time. Then it would use the spectrophotometer to take a second measurement to determine the alk concentration, and then it needs to empty the sample cell and flush it with a cleaning fluid. Hanna meters are $50, but they don't do all the work for you.

So a precise peri pump that can switch directions and possibly variable speed, an internal spectrophotometer of some kind, the housing, wiring, and reagents, and the programming and software, I can easily see it around or above $800. If hobbyists are willing to spend that much on Apex controllers, why not something that can help monitor and control one of the most important elements in keeping a stony coral reef alive and healthy? I'll be totally jazzed if this thing comes out at under $400, but I'm struggling to see how they could make a profit on it unless the parts are cheap Chinese components....

I was guessing a price based off his Reef2Reef thread. He said it cost him $500 to make the one-off prototype. No idea what the price will really be, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ends up being pretty expensive.

I doubt there will be a screen in the retail version (the readout will be displayed on the apex controller). So parts wise it is 4 dosing pumps, the colorimeter, a reservoir, and the microchip. If he hadn't said it cost him $500 to make one my guess would be higher as well.

Archived