BT Anemone

mrmorden

Greetings all!

I was hoping that my first post would not be under these circumstances, but I have a bubble tip nem which I have had for about 9 days. I should mention this is my first anemone and I tried to read/ask questions and gain as much knowledge as I could prior to taking on this task and the tank has been in prep for 5 months. It did really well with acclimating to the tank and quickly found a spot and secured itself and looked really nice and big the next day. Since the 2nd day I have been trying to offer him some food, either silversides (cut in 1/4" or smaller) or mysis shrimp. It seem to really play with the silversides but ultimately it would end up falling to the floor after a few moves towards the mouth. The mysis shrimp seem to just hang in the tentacles and never travel to the mouth or get eaten by a clownfish. Today after I got out of work I came home and noticed he has a few strings of slime and a white spot developing near his foot and his mouth has remained open. So I guess my question is, anyone have any ideas what might be going on (normal/abnormal behavior)? Is this food related and if so how do I entice the anemone further? The tank is 55 gal with 250w MH fixture on a timer for 6 hrs of light. I checked the water chemistry and it is the following...SG 1.025 PH 8.3 Ammonia 0.0 Nitrates 0.0 Nitrites 0.0 Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide!!!

Edited by mrmorden

It is not food related. Anemones don't usually have to be spot fed. They can survive on light and catching little bits from when you feed the tank. I had a Bubble tip for years and I would feed it about once every week or two. It is good you were trying to feed it small pieces as they will spit out pieces that are too big.

What is your tank temp? do you have a swing from lights on to lights off?