Setting up new tank 200 gallons

Lorie C

How much live rock is need in a 200 gallon tank with a 100 sump tank. Are has anyone used the bio-balls to use less live rock.. Any info would be great tank has been up about a week not sure if we have enough in there are not,

It's up to you honestly. If it were me. I would put about 200 lbs of rock in it. The more rock the better filtration. The go to number I have always heard is 1lb per gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's up to you honestly. If it were me. I would put about 200 lbs of rock in it. The more rock the better filtration. The go to number I have always heard is 1lb per gallon.

My husband got some of this, which we've added to both sumps. Small, light weight and lots of pores/ surface area for bacteria. I've been pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hobbyists are using less rock as equipment technology improves. I think it depends on your stocking levels, what equipment you are incorporating and whether or not you're going to dedicate a chamber of your sump towards a refugium. I like the 1 pound per gallon rule, with 2/3 in the display and the rest in the sump.