Vertex Cerebra - hands on

Awesome cause I have been slowly doing research on the different reef controllers and like what I with cerebra but like I said when I wanted to get one they disappeared and had no idea why. so I have been bouncing between the DA Reefkeeper and the Apex... they both have things I like and dislike ( I have gotten to play a bit with both and see how they work via others who have them) but I hadn't known anyone who got to play with the cerebra till I saw this thread.
When it finally shows up, you're more than welcome to come play with it and the Apex and see which is more your style.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty feature-rich if those are all included at the base price
And they told us it has ample computing power so we can easily add a USB hub to even more peripherals, like wireless mice and keyboards.

nice setup they got there. I like the fact there are LOTS of ports for things, however I'm not entirely sure why they have 2 pH ports.
2 pH ports is ideal when running a calcium reactor. You have one monitoring the reactor pH to ensure proper melting of the media and you have the other placed in the tank for monitoring and as a safety in case the reactor dumps CO2 into the system somehow. It can be programmed to detect and shut off the co2 solenoid to stop co2 gas from entering the system and save your tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Oh boy, hopefully it has the bugs worked out. The offer to come see/play with it still up?
Absolutely, though I can't guarantee bugless. [emoji16]

Cool part is the original manufacturer decided to drop ship on the original Cerebra so we don't have to return it to get the new one. I'm not sure the actual details but the end result is we don't have to send back version 1. Now what to do with it...

You basically have a big paper weight sitting around. I know we can't promise all the bugs, I was mainly hoping the big bugs got worked out from V1.
It was somewhat functional when I shut it down awhile ago. Maybe just throw it on the QT tank and don't give it too much to be responsible for.

Better yet, program it and put it in my living room to control lamps to automatically turn on and off. [emoji23]

What all was it able to do with no issue? If it could perform basic monitoring (Ph, Salinity, Temp) and/or other functions (I don't know exactly where the bugs are) you could run it on the frag system and when/if you get V2 use it along side V1 and see how they compare.

What all was it able to do with no issue? If it could perform basic monitoring (Ph, Salinity, Temp) and/or other functions (I don't know exactly where the bugs are) you could run it on the frag system and when/if you get V2 use it along side V1 and see how they compare.

It was fully functional from what I last recall, but that was more than a year ago. It just didn't have cloud support but I remember it running an independent frag tank for me.

My frag system is tied to my main system so no go there but I'll run it on the fish QT and see how it does.

I fired up the old one tonight and powered right up and began taking temp and ORP readings like nothing happened. I switched each individual outlet on/off and it responded appropriately. I might have to look back up with the big deal was with the old version. Like I said, at the end of the day, I'll program it to flip on my lamps in the living room or have it run my Christmas lights in the winter. [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

No timeline yet but I submitted my forms to get it when it comes out. They gave us 25% off any vertex accessories so I capitalized and bought some sexy red media reactors to replace my BRS ones.

Archived