My first saltwater tank. Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?

FrankinTank

Good looking scape! Looks like a great job to me!

Is that live rock or limestone?

I'd also maybe recommend running a slightly cooler temperature if possible as well. It'll help keep you algae growth to a minimum in the 78-80 range.

I'll have to get a chiller to drop the temp unfortunately.

It was dry Texas Holey Rock.

In the canister I have, ceramic noodles, 80 bio-balls, 2 liters of seachem biomatrix, and 2 bags of carbon.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Hi Frankin,

So, because you asked, here's what I'm thinking after looking at your video and seeing the setup.

1) I'd highly recommend eventually replacing a majority of the limestone for live rock. While it'll work for now, eventually your bioload is going to increase and limestone just doesn't have the biofiltering capacity that live rock has. Basically, I think your tank will end up with tons of algae and potential ammonia/nitrite issues.

2) Ditch the canister filter. They tend to be nitrate traps for a saltwater setup, though they are widely used for freshwater. I've never kept a freshwater setup but I'd imagine their widespread use is because nitrate is not a big deal with freshwater setups. With saltwater and corals, the nitrates will affect the corals and if high enough, will kill them. So I'd ditch the canister filter, o-rings, all of that, and instead run reactors or a skimmer down the line. Not a necessity but I feel like the current setup will lead you down the road to tons of algae and nutrient problems after the initial break-in period of the tank.

3) For cooling, no chiller needed. Just buy a cheap walmart fan for $10, clip it on your sump and let it blow across the surface. You'll end up topping off your water more but much cheaper than a chiller.

I hope I don't sound too critical. I'm just trying to point out potential setup choices that may cause you issues down the road so that the tank doesn't become an algae farm and you get discouraged from it.

I'd start a build thread and start posting your equipment and setup. There are many on the club that would be happy to lend advise if desired. We've all collectively been there when starting our first tank and the many pitfalls we hit along the way.

Good morning thanks for the input Farmer.

I do have a skimmer in the sump along with the canister and some cheato. Not sure if that is good enough to get rid of all the nitrates.

My question is this, wont the limestone eventually become live?

Also I put the 2 liters of biomatrix in the cannister hoping that could take care of my bioload once the good bacteria grows, will it not?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Sorry, I did see the skimmer and just forgot about it when I posted. It will definitely help and just keep in mind you are fighting phosphates as well in a reef system.

For your question on limestone, yes, it probably is live right now. The longer term issue is that it is just not as porous as live rock is, so no matter how seasoned it gets with bacteria, it will never have the capacity that live rock has to filter. So, that's why I mentioned it is just going to handicap you when your bioload gets larger over time. Then when you realize that is the issue, swapping out the limestone for live rock may be much harder to do without some losses to your system.

Archived