Zack

Background

After upgrading last year to my ADA 60-F, I learned a lot about what I really enjoyed about the aquariums. As my first "shallow reef" I fell in love with the "top down" style tanks and really enjoyed the challenge of working with such a small space. I have decided to take it one step further and enlist MAAST sponsor Zen Reef in helping me try a tank I've always wanted to build, a pico sized tank. Below are some good memories of past tanks as a refresher!

Equipment

Zen Reef 1 Gallon Custom: 7''x6''x5''

Aqua Illuminations AI PRIME

Livestock

TBD, mostly Zoanthids and Shrooms

Plans

Unfortunately the one gallon SPS pico I planned last year did not work as well as I would have liked. I rushed the build and ultimately had to call it quits after I had an equipment failure within the first week. This go around, we will be taking it much slower as well as having a much more calculated approach. Sunday at LMAR I picked up an AI Prime from Joey and Coral Cove and lined up a few purchases that I will be picking up in the future with Raven at World Class, Zen Reef, Clayton, and Coral Cove.

One of my buddies offered me a small piece of live rock from his sump so later this week I will be picking this up and also I'll be finding some equipment such as a heater and filter for the aquarium.

I'm not sure how I'll be handling filtration but I do have my eye on an internal filter that I'll be filling with rubble as well as filter floss which will be changed weekly. If this does not work out, I will have a HOB filter and will need to make a light hanger for the prime. Before I get the tank wet, I'm going to buff out all the scratches that it has accumulated from two moves and being stored so this next few weeks will mostly serve as a 'dry run'/ fw run.

I love pico tanks and I'm really excited to see what you do with it! When you get it all figured out, I'm interested to read more details on the filtration.

Thanks Ty and Kim! I placed an order on Amazon today for a heater and an in tank filter so we'll see how that goes! Also found my old live rock rubble stash!

Haha the one rock I had in mind was too big!!

You can just take a chisel or screwdriver and hammer to it and get it to the size and shape you want :D

Haha the one rock I had in mind was too big!!

You can just take a chisel or screwdriver and hammer to it and get it to the size and shape you want :D
That's why we call her brute force Kim! [emoji23]

Haha my wife would kill me! It's her favorite rock from her old displays lol..

The equipment came in today and I changed up the scape to fit it.

What equipment did you get?

Archived