Unhappy blasto

Dan H

Sorry for the "dumb" question but what in the pictures is an indication that the blasto isn't in good shape? Also, sorry about the trouble you're having. Corals are pets too. :)

Mouth gaping open and flesh is receded and clinging to the skeleton when it should normally look inflated.

That's actually an excellent question.

Here's a picture of it when it was happy:

post-3872-0-15628000-1462538247_thumb.jp

You can see the polyps are nice and fluffy, the mouths are tight but visible, feeding tentacles are present, and no skeleton is exposed.

Here's it very unhappy:

post-3872-0-45171500-1462538248_thumb.jp

Polyps are extremely retracted - not just deflated like when it's at night or high flow, the mouths are all gaped open, feeding tentacles are no where to be seen, and the skeleton is exposed.

I'll try to get a picture of it tonight after work if I remember and you'll see that now quite a few of the polyps have completely disappeared, and the remaining ones are barely hanging on. We are discussing fragging off the somewhat healthy polyps to see if we can't save 1 or 2...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I thought you were kidding around. :)

I'll have to try something tonight. I'll let y'all know what we try and the results.

So we fragged it in 2. There are a few small polyps that may pull through. I'll try to get some pictures when I'm back in town next week.

BOO! 1 of the 2 frags completely died. No polyps left what-so-ever. The second frag is holding on but still looks like it's got a pretty slim chance of pulling through.

Archived