New to Aquarium keeping

Chris_ATX

Hello everyone.I'm new to the world of aquariums and have been wanting to start a saltwater aquarium now for some time.

I have a 55g available but its too long for my space so wondering what would be the best option down from 4ft. If anyone has some recommendations or tanks for sale I'm happy to listen.

I look foward to learning and starting up a new hobby I hope to last many years.

40 gallon breeder is a good dimension, but you can get a 30, 50, or even a 65 gallon in the same 36 x 18 footprint.

If you're interested I still have a really nice ADA rimless 50 gallon tank in my garage, last thing I had for sale in my garage cleanout thread, there's a link to a picture as well: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/31928-garage-sale-consolidation-tanks-lights-and-a-few-supplies/

But otherwise, welcome to the club / hobby / addiction...

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got my tank setup with some help from Jimbo. So far I have a 90 gallon with left corner overflow and a 20 gallon sump.

In the display I have an unknown amount of dry rock, about a 2 inch sand bed, a single rw8 adding a 2nd soon and a 6 bulb t5 for lighting.

In the sump I have a Reef octopus nwb150 skimmer, 200 watt heater and a quite one 3000 return pump. I built a manifold style return so that I have the option to add reactors if needed. Already have a phosban 150 for later.

Now I have had the tank filled and running for a couple days and I have a bottle fritz zyme 9 to add but before I do I have a couple questions. The store that I got it from said that I should add fish to the display right away after adding but with this being a new tank I don't think that is right. Don't I need to wait for the tank to fully cycle before adding any livestock?

Thanks.

post-4324-0-37467700-1470807842_thumb.jp

post-4324-0-65168400-1470807883_thumb.jp

Unfortunately any live rock you get has the potential to have hitch hikers unless you made it live with an empty tank. You can do like jimbo said and get some dr tims and that works really well.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy, that's opening a big ole can of worms. You may want to search the board as there are a lot of threads about QTing fish, with many methods to choose from.

Some shops qt their fish before you even buy them so they're "safe". That may be my inexperience speaking but I wouldn't gamble if you're unsure once you have some more expensive live stock in there.

Also, I know you already cycled your tank but I got mine cycled in less than a week using TurboStart I bought from JustReef. It's a bacteria supplement that basically spikes the bacteria so high that it doesn't have to "build up". I've never cycled another way so I cannot speak on that, but I can say that this did work well to get the bad stuff out of the water quickly.

I've read many different sides on the subject and I have everything I need to QT. Part of me wants to see something swimming in the display already but I also don't want to introduce any unwanted disease to a new system.

I guess I just need that extra push since I'm already leaning towards doing the QT.

I have used the fritz zyme 9 on the last three tanks I setup and I had great success with it. You have to put something in so the bacteria has a food source or it will just die out. Regardless of the type of fish you use, you still have to check your parameters and make sure you aren't seeing spikes that will harm the fish. In all three cases I started with a couple clownfish and saw no spikes of concern. Clownfish are in the Pomacentridae family and pretty hardy fish. Ultimately you have to decide what you are willing to expose your new tank friends to. With a 90 gallon tank and no live rock to die off, you should not see ammonia spikes with only two fish in there using the fritz zyme 9. It is manageable, you just have to be diligent in testing.

If your trying to decide between QTing the fish to prevent disease from ever getting in your main tank then definitely QT. Many times people have a lot of heartbreak or lose fish because they don't QT. If you've got everything you need, then there's absolutely no reason not to QT.

I agree with Dan on the QT thing. I have certainly felt the pain of not setting up a QT. If nothing else setup the tank long enough to watch the fish and perhaps run them through a course of treatment just to be sure.

I've read many different sides on the subject and I have everything I need to QT. Part of me wants to see something swimming in the display already but I also don't want to introduce any unwanted disease to a new system.

I guess I just need that extra push since I'm already leaning towards doing the QT.

I wouldn't make a fish suffer to cycle your tank. There are humane ways of doing it. QT the fish anyway, don't use it as a sacrifice to get your bacteria proper. Just my two cents. When i learned that people throw "cheap" fish in their tank to cycle the ammonia I couldn't believe it.... fortunately there are products like Turbo Start to get the job done.

Archived