Junior marine biologist

ceastman

My 11 year old daughter is really interested in marine biology. Has anyone done or sent their kids to a marine biologist summer camp? We are looking at some options for this summer. Thanks for the guidance.

My 11 year old daughter is really interested in marine biology. Has anyone done or sent their kids to a marine biologist summer camp? We are looking at some options for this summer. Thanks for the guidance.

I remember Texas A&M University at Galveston used to have a Sea Aggie camp. Maybe look into that?

When I was younger I did a sea camp at the texas state aquarium in corpus christi. It was a week long, we went fishing seining, spent a night at the aquarium, kept tanks at the research lab with the things we caught, etc. When I got a bit older, they did scuba cert there as well. I'm not sure if its still like it was *ahem* 20 years ago, but I have fond memories.

When I was younger I did a sea camp at the texas state aquarium in corpus christi. It was a week long, we went fishing seining, spent a night at the aquarium, kept tanks at the research lab with the things we caught, etc. When I got a bit older, they did scuba cert there as well. I'm not sure if its still like it was *ahem* 20 years ago, but I have fond memories.

Wow, you're ancient! [emoji87]

Oh man. You just got monkey cover mouth emojii'd Vic...I think that means what ever he said before it is supposed to be embarrassing ( ...not sure if ancients know how emojiis work)

Ceast, if you guys are looking for something a little closer to home - I know Texas State, in San Marcos, is starting some new programs at the aquatic science camp this summer.

Edwards aquifer isn't salty, but it is crystal clear and an amazing place to explore/ learn about aquatic wildlife.

http://www.eardc.txstate.edu/education-center/camp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prettttty sure youre older than me.

prettttty sure youre older than me.
I'll take wiser.... but older? How dare you sir! [emoji22]

Couple of thoughts on this, as the father of a 16yo girl....

About 75% of teens want to be a Marine Biologist at some point. It's the coolest job in the world, right? Hang w/ dolphins, scuba dive the reefs, travel/live in tropical climates, etc. Not to dismiss her thoughts/feelings, but there's a 99% chance that she'll move on from this in the next 6 months. Just sayin.

I would certainly look into scuba classes, and some of the camps suggested above. Those are great ways to see if she's truly into it or it's just a cool thing to do - which is pretty great too.

If you're looking to burn a ton of money, you can look into ActionQuest Sailing & Scuba Camps. My daughter has done camps in the Caribbean 2 of the last 3 summers, and is doing a Caribbean one this summer for Rescue Diver, and then Tall Ship Sailing in the Mediterranean. FTR, her stepdad is loaded, not me! But...she's absolutely loved the camps - who wouldn't?? 3 weeks living on a boat in the Caribbean, scuba diving almost every day, learning about marine life, learning to sail, etc...pretty darn good time!

Definitely interested and following this one as well. I have an 11 year old also, going into 6th grade next year, she's getting scuba/padi certified this summer, and is definitely in the same boat as far as interest goes. I think at this point it's more about getting some really cool experiences than actually having a goal of becoming a marine biologist.

That's awesome, you should always encourage kids to pursue their dreams, even if there is a 99.99% chance that it's just a temporary dream. Still a great opportunity to help young minds grow, learn, and create friendships and lifelong memories! I went to all kinds of camps as a kid, even archeology camps. Helped shape me into who I am today and guided me to know what I wanted to do with my life.

Here's the TAMU Galveston camp Ty was talking about.

http://www.tamug.edu/seacamp/SeaCampPrograms/index.html

Ceast, if you guys are looking for something a little closer to home - I know Texas State, in San Marcos, is starting some new programs at the aquatic science camp this summer.

Edwards aquifer isn't salty, but it is crystal clear and an amazing place to explore/ learn about aquatic wildlife.

http://www.eardc.txstate.edu/education-center/camp.html

In comparing to some of the other camps we've looked at, the price on this is excellent. I've found a number of outdoor camps that run several thousand per week, some are more expensive than a suite in a 4 star hotel plus $30 per meal, 3 times a day.

Archived