Getting my own tank!

Heather

Hi everyone,

I've had a 29 gallon tank at work for about 4 years now, it's low maintenance and low budget, nothing fancy- a few soft corals, some inverts and a couple fish, but I've really enjoyed it. I've always wanted my own tank and I'm going to do it this summer! The plan is a Reefer 170 (34 gal display tank), still deciding on the pump, skimmer and light. Any advice would be great. Planning on experimenting with lots of different corals, including SPS. And my husband wants an anemone and a bonded pair of clownfish :)

I'm thinking about the Reef Octopus 110sss or the Bubble Magus 3.5 skimmers, but they seem pretty pricey and might be more than I need for this tank...advice?

I'm also trying to figure out what light to get, mostly looking at AI Prime and Kessil 160, Any thoughts? Will those work or should I go all out and go for the Kessil 360? Are there other brands I should be looking at?

A couple pics from my tank at work. For being mostly donated and having essentially zero budget, I'm pretty happy with it. Anyone know what the "unknown" is? It started growing close to a month ago now.

I'm hoping to learn a lot here!

Thanks,

Heather

post-4317-0-76222300-1460990389_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-57624400-1460990390_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-06960300-1460990391_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-59454400-1460990391_thumb.jp

hmmm, my name is showing up as my whole name, can I change that?

Heather,

You can change your name settings by doing the following:

1) Click on your profile drop down menu at the top right of your screen

2) Click on "My Settings"

3) On the left tabs, click on "Display Name" and you can change it there.

Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club Heather! That's exciting that you'll get to upgrade soon! I've had great success with my Reef Octopus skimmer so I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

The unknown looks to be a "ball anemone". A layman's term for the little clear anemones with white ball tips to their tentacles. They will usually open up at night and grab at particles floating by. They are usually hitchhikers on rocks and will usually coexist peacefully with the corals around them.

Hi Heather - good for you!

I've had both Bubble Magus and Reef Octopus skimmers. If you have a choice I would recommend the RO versus the BM ... Much quieter and much more reliable

Welcome to the club! I'd get the 360 if you go with Kessil and want to be able to keep corals with higher light needs. It can be turned down if it's ever too much. I'm not familiar with the AI fixtures. I'm sure there are other great LED options out there too!

pxZy_f-maxage-0.gif

haha! Steve Buscemi totally creeps me out! wave.gif

FarmerTY- thanks for the ID on my little ball anemone, definitely a hitchhiker- as is everything in that tank

Looks like I'll be getting a slightly bigger tank much sooner than expected, thanks to this forum and Brooks! thumbsup.gifclover.pngthumbsup.gif

Any advice is much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the A160WE on that size tank. We have one over a 20 gallon frag tank, works great.

If you get the 90 degree adapter for the gooseneck, you can raise it a bit, will help with spread.

A360WE will be overkill...

I'll go against the flow and say get an Ocean Revive T247B.

You'll get more par for your corals, better light spread, and less of a spotlight effect than from a single Kessil.

An extra bonus, it's also $40 cheaper.

Archived