Palytoxin - My Experience With It

FarmerTy

Sorry buddy, glad you're ok.

I had a similar experience when I upgraded from my 90g to my 230. We took the rocks with TTPs and put them in buckets with saltwater. They were there for hours while we moved the new tank in, filled it, did the rockwork etc. Final step was to put corals back in, including the rocks covered with palys. They had slimed quite a bit in the bucket. I put the rocks in the tank and had wavemaker, powerheads, and all sorts of other water agitation.

Within about 30 minutes my nasal passages and throat were burning. My wife and son arrived home, and within thirty minutes they were complaining as well. Not just griping complaining, but starting to have trouble breathing. It crossed my mind that it could be aerosolized palytoxin. We decided to open all the windows and leave, so we went to the Drafthouse to catch a movie thinking that a few hours would be enough. My nose and throat continued to worsen, and by about 30 minutes in the movie I was suffering full body aches and nausea. My legs were cramping horribly and I couldn't stay in my seat, but I didn't want to ruin the show for my family. We couldn't go home so I went out to the car to lie down on the back seat. About thirty minutes later there was a knock at the door. My wife and son now had the same symptoms and had left the movie to come to the car.

Our only debate was whether or not to go to the ER for all of us. I should have gone, but the 30 minute "nap" had allowed me to almost fully recover, diminished aches, pain, etc., so we decided they would wait it out thirty minutes and we headed home.

Within five minutes of being back in the house, even with open windows, my nose and throat started burning again. We decided to stay, but went to our respective rooms and sealed off the living room with open windows to air out through the night.

We could still "feel" it the next day and through the weekend, and it ended up taking all of us a week to fully recover (with relapses for us all throughout that time).

I discussed this with Timfish, who had helped with the tank move and never suffered any symptoms. He thought it was a flu bug, but I still believe we were all poisoned via palytoxin inhalation. There's no way my son who had just arrived from out of town would suffer a flu outbreak within 30 mins of coming home.

My advice, don't take chances.

Tim probably sprinkles palytoxin on his eggs in the morning. He's probably so used to that stuff that he's probably immune. whistle.gif

Sorry you had the same experience Mike with your family. It was pretty awful. My hands still shake and any activity that gets my heart pumping causes me to have short, rapid breaths.

Yeah, I think this subject needs more coverage, since the majority of beginners keep zoas and palys in their tank as they are easier to care for. I'd hate for someone to get it worse than I did. I started compiling a list of palys/zoas in the first post of this thread. If anybody has experience directly and want to add any other types, please send me a picture and I'll add it to the list.

I think it's probably a good idea to point out that the allergic reactions that people often get from working in a tank or getting stung by something are in no way the same ballpark as this. I've heard a number of stories where someone blamed palytoxin and it was pretty clearly a bad allergic reaction and they heard about palytoxin and ran with it.

Here's the wikipedia symptoms list which does have citations if anyone wants to see them.

The most common complication of palytoxin poisoning is rhabdomyolysis. This involves skeletal muscle breakdown and the leakage of intracellular contents into the blood plasma. Other symptoms associated with palytoxin poisoning in humans are characterized by a bitter/metallic taste, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, mild to acute lethargy, paresthesia, bradycardia, renal failure, impairment of sensation, muscle spasms, tremor myalgia, cyanosis, and respiratory distress. In the fatal cases of palytoxin poisoning, the poisoning mostly results in death due to myocardial injury.

Just to point out, this is thankfully not what you experience with most allergic reactions, although there may be some overlap in the case of the respiratory distress.

However, allergic reaction + panic attack because you think you have palytoxin poisoning, can probably replicate a whole bunch of symptoms that don't actually exist.

Using the "Coral Biome’s patented extraction method" to isolate palytoxin from the new palys that "produces significantly higher concentrations of palytoxin than any species previously known to science" sounds like a scary job! I don't think you could pay me enough!

Using the "Coral Biome’s patented extraction method" to isolate palytoxin from the new palys that "produces significantly higher concentrations of palytoxin than any species previously known to science" sounds like a scary job! I don't think you could pay me enough!
Psh, I did that the other day. They make it sound so complicated. [emoji53]

To be truthful, I haven't even stuck my hand back in the water yet. I'm a little water shy right now. That's why I've been messing with lights, doing QT work, everything else but getting my hand into my tank. [emoji33]

Psh, I did that the other day. They make it sound so complicated. [emoji53]

To be truthful, I haven't even stuck my hand back in the water yet. I'm a little water shy right now. That's why I've been messing with lights, doing QT work, everything else but getting my hand into my tank. [emoji33]

Nice!

Archived