OMG! What does ich look like?

Christyef

I hate to say it but it looks like ick to me. If you have a QT tank the best option is to move all your fish to it and treat them there with hyposalinity (low slainity sg 1.007 - 1.010) or copper. As ick can survive in a system for quite a while you will need to leave your display tank empty for 11-12 weeks. If moving to a QT is not an option you can try Kick-Ick or Metronidazole. In my experience I have had inconsistant results using these two products but they are reef safe. A more expensive and better option in my experience to treat a display tank is to get a big sterilizer and run it with it's own pump pulling from behind the rock at one end of your tank and returning to the other end.

An additional note, usually ick is transferred on fish but I have seen it transferred on rock. When the adult leaves the fish it needs to find a place on a rock to attach and become a cyst. The cyst can take anywhere from 3 days up to 72 days to hatch out baby parasites. It's this cyst stage that can get transferred on basically any hard substrate not covered with sponge or coral from tank to tank. (One more reason to dip and QT everything)

If you want to read more on the life cycle here's a good paper:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

I do not have a QT tank. And am going out of town the next 3 wkends! [emoji30][emoji22]. The hippo is quite old. The last few corals I have put in there I have dipped. Not sure where it came from. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with Timfish, looks like ich. He's outlined the right approach for ich treatment. Some other options are also tank transfer method (TTM) and chloroquine phosphate as well, but those will also require the removal of all fish and it left fallow for 76 days to be safe.

To be honest, you could probably just rehome the hippo tang and just run an ich-maintenance tank. You know it's in the system but there will really not be any outbreaks unless there is a stressful situation or you add an ich-prone fish such as a hippo tang, achilles tang, or powder blue tang for example.

Agreed with Timfish, looks like ich. He's outlined the right approach for ich treatment. Some other options are also tank transfer method (TTM) and chloroquine phosphate as well, but those will also require the removal of all fish and it left fallow for 76 days to be safe.

To be honest, you could probably just rehome the hippo tang and just run an ich-maintenance tank. You know it's in the system but there will really not be any outbreaks unless there is a stressful situation or you add an ich-prone fish such as a hippo tang, achilles tang, or powder blue tang for example.

"Stressful" like too many fish or a fish trap?!? I have a yellow tang (got at the same time) and he seems fine

Overstocking, fish trap, new fish additions, poor water quality... any stressor that is beyond normal conditions. Hippo tangs are usually highly prone to ich so it usually doesn't take much. You can try to ride it out and see if it just gets better but if it continues to look worse, you are better off removing all the fish and treating with one of the suggestions above.

Ok[emoji22]

How big is this tank? I have a UV sterilizer you can borrow, if you decide to try that. We'll have to see if it's the right size.

Ok[emoji22]

How big is this tank? I have a UV sterilizer you can borrow, if you decide to try that. We'll have to see if it's the right size.
55 gal.

Ok[emoji22]

55 gal.
It'll definitely be big enough then. Just lmk if you want to use it.

Ok[emoji22]

55 gal.
It'll definitely be big enough then. Just lmk if you want to use it.
I'lol try anything (except QT only bc I don't have one[emoji16]). Will you be at juicemans on sat?

Archived