What kind of crabs are these?

cliff

The first one I'm guessing is some kind of Mithrax sp. You can see the little "spoons" at the tips of it's claws it uses for scrapping alage typical of Mithrax crabs. The second "might" be a species of Grapsus or Sally Lightfoot Crab. It does not have it's last set of legs modified into flat flappers like preditary crabs like the blue crab has but it may still not be a reef safe species like Sally Lightfoots are.

Cool! They are going in a fish only tank. I'll post an awesome video of the barnacles on its back going crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not going in the reef tank. Anything wild caught is not going in the reef tank. Not taking that risk haha. But check this out. There is only one crab in this tank! No more barnacle buddies. https://vimeo.com/160723784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

In general, the ones with hairy legs have often been found to be NOT reef safe. It's not an all encompassing rule but will usually keep you out of trouble. Also, look at their claws, I'd the ends are sharp and look like they are for tearing flesh, you may not want to put it in the display tank. Reef safe crabs like emerald crabs have flat, spoon like claws for grazing though most crabs are opportunistic feeders so even reef safe crabs can turn on you down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In general, the ones with hairy legs have often been found to be reef safe. It's not an alk encompassing rule but will usually keep you out of trouble. Also, look at their claws, I'd the ends are sharp and look like they are for tearing flesh, you may not want to put it in the display tank. Reef safe crabs like emerald crabs have flat, spoon like claws for grazing though most crabs are opportunistic feeders so even reef safe crabs can turn on you down the road.

I think you meant crabs with hair legs are NOT reef safe. Personally, I only trust Acro Crabs and Porcelain Crabs. I haven't had bad experiences with every crab, but I've seen enough stories to avoid them.

Ugh, too late! I already bought a bunch of hairy-legged, mangrove hugging, hippie crabs! It's going to take hours to catch them all, but I think some restitution frags will help speed up my painful recovery...

Ugh, too late! I already bought a bunch of hairy-legged, mangrove hugging, hippie crabs! It's going to take hours to catch them all, but I think some restitution frags will help speed up my painful recovery...

Two words... porcupine puffer. shifty.gif

Archived