What's your alkalinity level?

KimP

I hear people keeping it anywhere from 6 to all the way up to 10 or 11. I'm curious about why there's such a big range.

What do you keep your alkalinity at and why?

I try to keep mine around 9. I don't have a great reason for 9 other than below 8 is not good ( so I have time to react if my alkalinity starts going low) and trying to keep it higher has other challenges.

7.5-8.0 dKh is where I keep mine. If you carbon dose at all (biopellets, vodka, etc) you want it below 8.0 dKh to prevent alk burn on the tips of acros.

Some believe you will get better growth with higher alk numbers so they chose to run higher. Some believe you get better coloration at lower alk numbers, so they do that.

Natural seawater is about 7.0 dKh. I've received acros direct before and the alk is usually at 7.2 dKh, though there may be some bacterial interference while being shipped.

The most important thing is just a stable alk level, as long as it is within accepted ranges of 6.5-11 dKh.

Around 9 for me as well. I'd say higher is probably better in an aquarium for buffering capacity, but overall alk stability is way more important than an arbitrary level as long as it's in the general range of what's acceptable for coral growth.

Actual seawater has an alkalinity of closer to 7 but there's so much water, it's resistant to changes due to the volume. In a small closed system like an aquarium, higher alk will buffer against changes in ph. But still stability is still what's really important. Fluctuating alk = STN or RTN, especially in SPS.

I generally shoot for 9. I've had problems when it goes below 8 so I err on the slightly high side. You can see my logs below. It's showing the last month but has aggregate data for about the last year. I check it almost daily.

post-3872-0-93635200-1458936436_thumb.pn

Wow, I guess 9 it is! I've been keeping mine right at 7 or a little above, for no reason. I'm not carbon dosing or anything, just didn't know of a reason to keep it there or to raise it. Thanks for the input.

I keep mine around 7.7, I like to keep it above natural levels, but like Ty said I have burned the tips of my acros going above 8-9 while running biopellets

How do you know if you burned the tips of the acros?

I keep mine around 7.7, I like to keep it above natural levels, but like Ty said I have burned the tips of my acros going above 8-9 while running biopellets

How do you know if you burned the tips of the acros?
Clear white tips with no color on an acro, it's pretty obvious when it happens. Almost looks like a digitata or stylo with their white growth tips except it isn't natural.

Mine varies between 5 and 14 in my various tanks with one system bouncing between 6 and 9. The only "problem" I've seen with stoney corals when alkalinity is outside "accepted" levels is they "tend" to grow slower but not always. One possible explanation why systems run at various levels is cryptic sponges feed off the Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) released by tank inhabitants and convert it into Dissolved Inorganic Carbon (DIC) which includes HCO3 or bicarbonates. In nature reefs have been found that run as low as 5.3 dKH (Those of you who have seen Hydro's system the last year he had it running in Elgin alkalinity stayed around 5 dKH).

Archived