Sump

fightinghippo

Yeah its easy, just make sure its not tempered glass.

:-) easy for first timer? Has anyone done it so I don't get a stare and I told u so from wife. Wondering if I can get it drilled some where or get help from someone who has already done it

If you are a premium member, you can borrow the set the club has floating around. It's real easy, just go slow, use plenty of water, tape the opposite side to prevent chipping when the bit comes out, and a towel inside the tank for when the plug falls when you've cut all the way through. Pull up a video on YouTube, it may help you visualize it.

If you are a premium member, you can borrow the set the club has floating around. It's real easy, just go slow, use plenty of water, tape the opposite side to prevent chipping when the bit comes out, and a towel inside the tank for when the plug falls when you've cut all the way through. Pull up a video on YouTube, it may help you visualize it.

Thank you Ty. In a way you and Pham are to blame for me to catch reef fever. A long time back I came to buy some frags from you and was fascinated by your tank. My wife is in love with Pham's tank. Talk about high standards. Moved from 55 to 90 and now my new excuse is they have bigger tanks that's why it looks so good. So was able to convince her we need 180 gallon. So bought this tank I need to set it up now

3196bfa8579236abdbb6a5e7784b99b5.jpg

02c55cbab06f5b4a90035ce1b9f80866.jpg

I remember you sir! Glad you caught the fever, misery loves company I tell ya!

I think I ran into you at Toxic's place as well when he was clearing stuff out.

New tank looks awesome! Hurry up and get that thing wet! Do you still work right up the street from me off Burnet?

:-) easy for first timer? Has anyone done it so I don't get a stare and I told u so from wife.

Yes, easy enough even for a 1st timer. I just drilled my 75g for a return fitting and it was much easier than I thought it would be. Mostly I was just scared of screwing it up and ruining the tank. There are dozens of youtube vids and they all say pretty much the same thing - keep water on it (I used my neighbor's kid to hold the hose) and go slow. The hardest thing is keeping the bit in the same place long enough for it to cut a groove it wants to stay in, but once you've got that, it's just time and [light] pressure. Good luck!

I've found that by angling the bit in the initial cut allows one side to dig into the glass first, then at that point, even it out slowly so that it cuts the full circle from that point. Also, if you can't borrow a kid or have one of your own, I used plumbers putty to build a ring around the hole and filled it with water to keep it wet at all times.

Bobcat said it best, easy on the pressure. I actually just let the weight of the drill and gravity push it as that's more than enough.

does any one have a 75 mm drill bit?

I also reached out to mike about seeing what he has available. But looking at the list in available equipment, i didn't see the size listed there

this is whats listed in BRS page

2" ABS Bulkhead Thread x Thread Dimensions (see diagram)
A - 98mm/3.85"
B - 73mm/2.87"
C - 72mm/2.83" (Installation Hole Size)
Use our 75mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit for DIY installation

Archived