Camera and lens suggestion

FarmerTy

So, I'm looking for a camera that will be able to take great stock photos of my corals...about the quality I see on most online retailers like AquaSD.

The thing is I'm clueless with cameras. All I know is I need a DLSR and a macro lense.

Also, looking for something that can take decent videos as well as I may want to record some How To videos down the line one day.

Saw a Canon Rebel T3 with lens kit, bag, memory card, and Tamron 90mm macro lens for $400 shipped and was wondering two things 1) Good deal? 2) Would fit what I need it for regarding photo and video capabilities.

I plan to also use this camera in a limited capacity to take some specific shots of properties that my professional photographer may have missed or that I want to highlight for MLS photos as well.

Any input is appreciated or any points in the right direction to an awesome setup for a good price.

You'll want to get a 1:1 macro lens which is going to be almost as important as the actual camera. You can use a stock or aftermarket telephoto lens with a macro function, but the quality isn't going to be nearly as good as a true macro.

I still use a Canon T2i which I would definitely prefer to the T3, it's smaller and has a much better sensor, probably about the same price for the body these days since both of these aren't anything close to a current model.

Do you have an idea in mind for your budget? The actual sensor that the camera uses in addition to the lens are going to be the 2 most important factors for aquarium photography. The larger and higher quality the sensor, the less pixelation and distortion the pictures will have especially if you take shots under actinic.

I am recommending the Nikon 3200 series. It's the Rebel's T2i competition and has 24 mega pixles and a flip screen, takes better video, and Nikon glass is way better for lens where you'll spend the bulk of your money. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Focus-S/dp/B007VGGFZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458767391&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+3200

The only issue with both Nikon 3200 and Rebel T2i is both are DX (cropped) cameras which crop the image.

If you go with the Nikon D7100 it'll be about $700 for just the body then you can buy the macro lens you want. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7100-24-1-DX-Format-Digital/dp/B00BI9X7UC

I have been debating the jump to FX (full frame) myself since i have been getting more serious into photography so mine may be available if your interested.

Here's some info on DX vs FX http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/features/dx-vs-fx-its-not-debate-its-choice

I think I was going to buy the Tamron 90mm macro lens anyways unless I can find a good deal on the Sigma macro lens. They are both 1:1 if I understand correctly.

If I had a bigger budget, I'd run with a full frame camera but just can't allocate the money for thst now. Maybe I should chop up my Colorado Sunburst! [emoji4]

I'm looking to spend about $500 alltogether for the camera and macro lens.

I'll look into the cameras you guys mentioned. Looks like the Rebel T3 is not the best camera if neither one of you said the T3 plus Tamron macro lens for $400 was a good deal.

That nikon will be quite a bit better than the T2i, it's probably more comparable to the t5i. One feature that is nice on newer cameras is WiFi. Makes it much less of a pain to transfer photos around, but still not a huge deal. Neither of these cameras have wifi anyway.

I went with Canon on mine because I already had a number of canon lenses and I have photographers in the family that shoot canon. Picking between comparable nikon and canon is like Toyota vs. Honda, either is most likely going to be a good choice, but sometimes there are features of one that are more appropriate for a specific purpose.

The cheapest entry level full frames are going to be the 6D and D610. The image quality and ability to shoot in lower light of these is almost incomparable to APS-C sensor cameras, but you're looking at about $1200 for a used or refurb body alone.

how about the gopro series of cameras? too limited as far as lens go?

If you're asking for my use purposes, then yes, too limited. The main reason to get the camera was for the macro lens to take close up shots.

I may not yet know saltwater tanks as I'm new to the hobby but as a photographer myself I do know cameras. While a full frame camera/ sensor may be nice to have you're also talking about a huge difference in cost. I do a ton of shoots each year and both of my cameras are cropped sensors and do just fine. Frame your shot well and you'll have no issues. As far as a recommendation it really depends on your budget. Don't overlook Sony. I use them for all of my professional work and they have really become a force to be reckoned with over the last few years.

I may not yet know saltwater tanks as I'm new to the hobby but as a photographer myself I do know cameras. While a full frame camera/ sensor may be nice to have you're also talking about a huge difference in cost. I do a ton of shoots each year and both of my cameras are cropped sensors and do just fine. Frame your shot well and you'll have no issues. As far as a recommendation it really depends on your budget. Don't overlook Sony. I use them for all of my professional work and they have really become a force to be reckoned with over the last few years.

Awesome! What's the Sony equivalent to the Nikon D3200 or the Canon Rebel T5 in your opinion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tripod is a must for macro photography.. as is lighting.. If you go with Canon you will want a Canon lens as there isn't a better lens out there than Canon. If you can't swing a good macro lens then your second option is for extension tubes, which is what I have.. but I also have $1200+ lenses.. The smaller the sensor the more magnification you will have, but you sacrifice light and clarity usually. Full frame is by far your best bet, but can be expensive.

I know this photographer guy who takes Real estate photos.. wink wink..

Archived