Help: Overflow vs Return Pump

Reefgardner

Depends on your water volume counting sump/fuge. On my 75g I had about 80lbs of sand/rock, so 60g water ontop, plus another 20g in sump/fuge. 80g to turn over. "3-4 times per hour was ideal (Aquarium Atlas by Riehl and Baensch, p.57)." but some go as high as 8-10/hr.

If it was my tank, i'd setup one hole for the return, and 2 drains. never tee drains together, you want redundancy. So 80g times 4 360gph - 800gph... now factor in plumbing, elbows, tee to fuge... i'd go w/ 500gph-1200gph.

Now if you go w/ a DC pump, remember they dont like working under 30%. so factor in around 60-70% as your target.. room to grow.

It's important to know how high the pump will need to lift the water to get it back into the tank, so I'd figure out how high you'll be placing your tank first. Then you can think about how fast you want the water to move through your sump. DC pumps are really nice. Quiet and use less power and you can change the speed.

Now if you go w/ a DC pump, remember they dont like working under 30%. so factor in around 60-70% as your target.. room to grow.

I just learned something new, thanks! I'm going now to check my apex and be sure my closed loop DC pump doesn't go that low...

Something to keep in mind with as well with circulation pumps. I programmed all my Jaebos to above 30% minimum to avoid wear on all modes I program, most importantly in the wave modes because of the start/stop.

Archived