Filter socks

Christyef

i think most of us have rusted clamps smile.png you have to replace your GFO routinely w/ fresh GFO to actually remove the phosphate from the system (its stuck to the GFO!) i dont really see myself swapping hose clamps monthly *lol*

Me neither! Water changes don't do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water changes can do the trick, it just depends on your tank and how heavily you feed (this is a big way phosphates are added), and what's being consumed in your system (corals, algae, and other life forms use phosphates), if your rocks are leaching phosphates, things like that. I'd start out testing for it with just water changes and watching for nuisance algae showing up, and if you can't keep your levels down like that, then consider adding GFO to your system. A lot of people plan on using it from the start.

The mesh socks are pretty easy to clean. I rinse them under running tap water inside out and then I give a final rinse in RODI water. Takes about 1 minute.

i wouldnt call those dirty then :)

The mesh socks are pretty easy to clean. I rinse them under running tap water inside out and then I give a final rinse in RODI water. Takes about 1 minute.

i wouldnt call those dirty then smile.png

I will admit my bioload is light :) I clean them weekly.

I only use a filter sock after water changes, when I like to stir my sand bed. I leave them on for like 8 hours and then remove them. I don't use them long term. If a fish swims down your drain, and gets stuck in the sock, then it's guaranteed dead. If you don't have a sock, then you can rescue the fish from the sump.

I only use a filter sock after water changes, when I like to stir my sand bed. I leave them on for like 8 hours and then remove them. I don't use them long term. If a fish swims down your drain, and gets stuck in the sock, then it's guaranteed dead. If you don't have a sock, then you can rescue the fish from the sump.

I have a HOB so think the risk of a fish being in there wld be minimal......?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived