Spring Frag Swap Interest

Dan H

Frag swap  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had some people ask if we were going to have a frag swap sometime soon. I would like to gauge interest from both a seller and buyer's perspective. Please use the poll and feel free to make any comments.

There is one scheduled at ceastman's... http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/36086-june-meeting-at-ceastmans-61816-2pm/

We actually have meetings scheduled through June as of right now...

It's possible that maybe we turn the May fragging meeting into a frag-swap as well? I would obviously have to talk with Aaron at Just Reef to see if he's ok with that... but it's a thought...

There is currently an April meeting scheduled at Juiceman's. Again, we could change to a swap instead of meeting if that's what enough people wanted, but I wouldn't want to just pull the rug out from anyone that already committed to that meeting... So I'd rather we not change that.

2016 Meetings Schedule

C4 isn't until August 27.

Also noteworthy - there is a big swap in San Antonio on May 1 and I'm trying to lure some of the SAT people to come to our swap... So scheduling it too close to May 1 will obviously mean less SAT people would be interested.

There is one scheduled at ceastman's... http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/36086-june-meeting-at-ceastmans-61816-2pm/

It's possible that maybe we turn the May fragging meeting into a frag-swap as well? I would obviously have to talk with Aaron at Just Reef to see if he's ok with that... but it's a thought...

Talked to Aaron the other day and he said we're welcome whenever. That might work out well to have a venue too.

Talked to Aaron the other day and he said we're welcome whenever. That might work out well to have a venue too.
Maybe odd of me but I really don't feel comfortable selling my frags at a LFS.

It's like me making my own sandwiches and setting up a table inside Subway to sell them. [emoji53] Maybe I'm just a weirdo but it just feels wrong to me, whether they are cool with it or not.

Ty,

Look at it this way. And I'll even inflate your ego a bit. ARC sets up a frag swap at just reef, farmerty comes and people want farmerty frags which drives traffic to the store, it will drive traffic to people that don't know he is there and have never been there too. Aaron has coral and fish as well as dry goods too. While in the store they decide to buy a fish and some dry goods while they are there. They have a good time and decide to put just reef on their LFS store rotation.

Everyone wins.

Scenario 2. People come to the frag swap, they see how Aaron does what he can to support the local reeling community. They decide to become regular patrons of Just Reef.

Everyone wins.

Scenario 3. A bunch of coral junkies come and spend hours at his shop. I'll bet you a donut they find at least one thing they have to have.

Everyone wins

Scenario 4. People come to the swap. They eat the free food, hang out and talk and buy nothing.

No one wins. But they know where Just Reef is and are more likely to return when they do need something,

It seems like good business sense for Aaron to want to host a frag swap.

Aw man, I thought my Subway analogy was pure gold! You actually make a whole lot of sense which I'm thinking is the scariest part of this whole thing for me! [emoji12]

Way to bring another viewpoint into the equation for me. [emoji106]

Of the multiple problems with subway.

They don't care about people who make their own sandwiches (coral) at their house, nor do they care about other sandwich shops nor the people that don't eat there (community).

Walk into subway and start talking to the manager about how you have a little sandwich station at your house and your dreams about how you wish your ham samich station was bigger and ask him if he can help you setup a bigger sandwich station.

I'll come bail you out.

It was a good try though :D

What about Scenario 5?

Everyone falls in love with FarmerTy corals, stops shopping at all the LFSs. Someone films a vine at my house with all my corals and it blows up the internet. I become mega-rich, all the LFSs shutdown or I buy them out... FarmerTy Aquatics, FarmerTy's Reef, Just Ty, Austin FarmerTy Farm, The TyDome, AquaTy, and the Ty Gallery.

I go global! They name a reef after me! The Great Ty Reef! I get endorsements... Yum... I eat these nori sheets everyday and look how my skin glows! A shot glass of mysis in my smoothie helps keep my energy levels up all day long!

Then I get caught one day abusing calcium carbonate powder and smoking some rolled up nori... The public turns on me, my empire good down in flames, my money runs dry... I start bargaining out my services to help get my next fix... Hey, I'll test your water for you man? Just hook me up with some 2-part, the pure stuff from BRS... don't give me that cheap baking soda junk.

I'll show you how to dip acros if you hook me up with two sheets of nori dude?

I'll tune your CaRX for some fish pellets man!

I'm thinking scenario 5 is 95% probable. The rest are garbage. ;)

I completely agree that it would feel weird to sell frags at a shop that sells frags, but I would hope that overall it would serve to increase Just Reef's business. The problem is I don't think anyone can predict if it would help or hurt Aaron. The only way to know is to do an experiment. :)

If this does happen, I think Aaron is savvy enough to find a way to capitalize on the extra traffic.

I'm thinking scenario 5 is 95% probable. The rest are garbage. ;)

I completely agree that it would feel weird to sell frags at a shop that sells frags, but I would hope that overall it would serve to increase Just Reef's business. The problem is I don't think anyone can predict if it would help or hurt Aaron. The only way to know is to do an experiment. :)

If this does happen, I think Aaron is savvy enough to find a way to capitalize on the extra traffic.

Cover fee! Genius! Have a DJ there, actinic lights on only, laser lights, smoke, and serve some mysis shots.

Yal are crazy. I've been stacking Frags in prep for the meeting I'm hosting. If you'd rather have it at Just reef, it's ok with me. Otherwise, we can do it here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yal are crazy. I've been stacking Frags in prep for the meeting I'm hosting. If you'd rather have it at Just reef, it's ok with me. Otherwise, we can do it here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the swap is in conjunction with a meeting, I'm probably not bringing the frag tank. I'll just post what I have and bring what people prepaid for to the meeting. If we were doing a legit 4hr swap like previous ones, then I'll pull out the ole' girl. Not worth it otherwise in my opinion, there's just not the same amount of traffic for a meeting versus a swap.

True... Meeting traffic is certainly not on part with that of a swap.

I'm thinking we hold off on the swap. There is some interest but it doesn't look like it's enough to justify the effort required to make it happen. Only 3 people interested in selling (at this time) isn't really much of a swap.

Archived