Need help getting my fuge tied in, catastrophic fail on my part

saltwater snoopy

Dont know if anyone has time but this is my 3rd attempt at it an flooded the house again, now everything is stuffed back in the display tank, i truly hate to ask but i really need some help, id pay local f.s. but i spent about all i had on these tanks hope i haven't over stressed livestock , paul saltwater snoopy 512-577-4614 my cell , i have two h.o.b. overflow boxes being my tank is not drill : )

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Personally, the only overflow boxes that I would remotely trust are the CPR style ones that use an aqualifter pump to maintain a siphon. The tube based ones will almost universally fail at some point. I know some people run them for a long time without issue, but just not worth the risk IMO.

You could also install a horizontal overflow fairly easily. I've done a few on tanks that were already set up. As long as you can drain the water slightly below where the hole needs to be, it's possible to drill one full. Also, assuming the glass isn't tempered.

you need to balance your "off pump" levels w/ the siphon. the sump/fuge should not overflow w/ the pumps off. you need to regulate when/how the overflow works w/ this in mind. This is why many people only have there sump at 1/3-1/2 full w/ the pumps on... to compensate for off time to not flood.

this is why i asked for picts... to see the setup smile.png it could be as simple as a missing or too short standpipe inside the overflow box.

EDIT: this assumes siphon between tank and overflow box, and gravity drain from overflow box.

Once it's set up.

1:Turn the pump off. If the sump overflows there is too much water in your sump.

2:break the siphon. If it floods the tank, there is one of two problems. Your overflow box is too high and you tank doesn't have adequate space for the inflow without return.

It's all about water levels with an overflow box. The speed of your pump has nothing to do with it unless they overflow box doesn't have a baffle. You have to have a baffle in your overflow box. This slows down the flow rate coming out of your tank. Shoot me a text and I'll send your some videos if this doesn't make sense.

512-924-8785.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, for responses, yes the flooding i had no one way check valves for return an pump , also no ball valves for shut off on the lines, i have two overflow boxes one has ball valves for shut off on return lines but the lines too short, was trying to make do w/out going to Hm depot, i got it to work but none of it set up so to break cycle when water lines drop too low,

It makes sense, but after a couple hr , my disability mess me up but have to laugh now , but it wasn't too funny when the main sump feed pop out of display going all over 110 outlet , fixed now but very unlike me i make such a mess of it all, if and when i try for the 4th time ill make sure i have help, just cant do some of the stuff i use too, not sure how to post pic but ill see if i can

ae266897b85538296959df85c8959280.jpg333cd946105b0faf7604c00823289f6b.jpg3fff5327ef081178a55b23d8844dda92.jpgca4d1216a72e6cc830d1d2dc8e6e1aec.jpg76c2eca9091069e18a96da7a059a1dde.jpg dont laugh too hard this has been a low budget build but im still glad i went for it , i now have the display tank and 29 bio up and running but they still have a bit more that needs to be done, thank you ARC for all the help, kindness all around great ppl,

thank you for the picts: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/36312-here-are-some-pic-of-my-stuff-tanks-sump-ect/

no need for a check valve, would reduce flow. raise the return heads in the tank just below the water level. this will allow minimal siphon before it breaks the surface and stops the siphon. normally people drill a small hole on the underside of their return, but in a biocube, its designed to be underwater, so thats not really an option.

when you have a fuge separate from the sump, the easiest way to ensure no fuge overflow is to have it higher than the sump. for instance, my sump is 6" lower than my fuge.

does the fuge have its own hang-on overflow? hows the water leave the fuge?

if it hasnt been mentioned, use a GFCI if you are not yet.

Im sorry , yes update i got it all back to the way it was , for now trying to unstress the little bit i have in the tank im sorry my ringer was turn dwn , but i alway check text , you all have been great, if not for ARC i would still be wishing i had a s.w. tank , some Really good ppl in ARC

Thanks buddy, most was on lino, so it cleaned up, and i fix the 110 outlet that got wet, i had the main return line stuff behind some rock and it pop out got stuck behind the tank, just totally dumb stuff on my part all good now, im going to have the back drilled or use a canister, all just learning curve, my next tank is going to be drilled for sure

Archived