Why did this happen?

M6S1K3

I have a normal sand living star fish and I also have a red Haitian star. Both reef safe except after 3 months of living together the red Haitian hunted down the normal star and killed it and is eating it. Why? Stars eat stars?

ce10433d7bff86a84977cba56d71afcd.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red knobby sea stars aren't normally considered reef safe. Other sea stars are a primary part of their diet. It will also eat soft coral, sponges, and basically anything it can catch that it can digest.

Hmm I haven't noticed it eating anything other than Algae. Weird. Plus the dude at aquadome said it was reef safe. It's not the typical white and red knobbed...No reason to not believe him after three months but looks like it has to go

Hmm I haven't noticed it eating anything other than Algae. Weird. Plus the dude at aquadome said it was reef safe. It's not the typical white and red knobbed...No reason to not believe him after three months but looks like it has to go

I think they're one of those, some are, some aren't reef safe. There's a chance that he's only interested in other stars and not coral. I think they're also like some other reef safe inverts and fish like angels, where they're safe until they're not safe anymore.

That's possible. Honestly I could care less that he ate that other star or even some coral I care more about my sponges that are starting to pop up haha

Archived