Tang selection advice

KimP

I like both. I think the whitetail is much more expensive?

They're rare so they are one of the more expensive ones.

Personally, I think the price on these and chevrons isn't worth it when you consider how they look as adults, basically brown, white tails still better than chevrons though.

Yellow eye kole's are still my favorite for color which doesn't change much when they mature.

Personally, I think the price on these and chevrons isn't worth it when you consider how they look as adults, basically brown, white tails still better than chevrons though.

Yellow eye kole's are still my favorite for color which doesn't change much when they mature.

Maybe you're right. I hadn't considered that it would just be a brown fish with or without a white tail in the end. I'm having some trouble finding pictures of the final colors. What about the tomini tang? Maybe I'll just get the yellow eye kole tang. They look the same as adults?

Maybe you're right. I hadn't considered that it would just be a brown fish with or without a white tail in the end. I'm having some trouble finding pictures of the final colors. What about the tomini tang? Maybe I'll just get the yellow eye kole tang. They look the same as adults?

They change some, but the adults I've seen tend to keep a more reddish purple body color and retain their stripes. The while tails end up sort of a warm brown color with stripes, fairly similar to yellow eye but they have a black eye and a yellow highlight around it. Chevrons turn brownish black with thin parallel stripes, huge change from juveniles.

It probably does depend on the actual fish though. I'm sure there's plenty of less colorful yellow eyes out there. But you're looking at a $30 - $50 fish vs. a $150 - $300 fish.

I loved my tomini tang Kim. It had a lot of personality, never stopped cleaning the rocks, was very peaceful, and was like my poor man's achilles tang.

Do they look about like this as adults?

684de0f0ec059875d02a737bcecadd1b.jpg

I loved my tomini tang Kim. It had a lot of personality, never stopped cleaning the rocks, was very peaceful, and was like my poor man's achilles tang.

Do they look about like this as adults? 684de0f0ec059875d02a737bcecadd1b.jpg

The tomini is a great choice, not too expensive and really a great lookin fish. They also tend to be available locally every now and again.

Is the tomini a good algae grazer? I've read a few times that the bristletooth tangs are more of a detriivore than a herbivore ...

Detrivore and film algae for the ones I've had. They wouldn't even eat nori sheets. Foxface is probably the best all around algae eater I've found. I haven't seen a tang that is even comparable to one if algae control is the goal.

Is the tomini a good algae grazer? I've read a few times that the bristletooth tangs are more of a detriivore than a herbivore ...

Detrivore and film algae for the ones I've had. They wouldn't even eat nori sheets. Foxface is probably the best all around algae eater I've found. I haven't seen a tang that is even comparable to one if algae control is the goal.

Algae control is a big reason. I do have a foxface already.

So...what did ya get?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing just yet. Not exactly anyway. Timfish had a small regal tang sitting in a quarantine tank that he put in in the meantime (I know my tank's not long enough for it as it grows bigger). The kids and anyone that comes over go nuts over that fish! I bet it's the same reaction for anyone with clownfish. I've pretty much decided to get a yellow eye kole tang and I'll still need to quarantine it and all.

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions from everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived