Fish stock reintroduction/adding new members

FarmerTy

Hello ARC,

I was running through the options in my head of reintroduction of my fish while thinking about the much anticipated day of March 3rd, this Thursday, as the day my fish can finally return to my tank after the 76 day fallow period to remove ich entirely from my tank. No more ich-maintained tank for me! It's going to be all gone! Well... hopefully, if I did it all correctly.

Anyways, I'm filling out my final stock list versus what I currently have, and was planning to compile an order of reintroduction. I'm not looking for a discussion of what I can and can't have in the tank but more so looking of what order the introduction should occur. The new stock won't be arriving for another 1-2 weeks, in which they will still need to go through 12 days of tank transfer method and another 5-10 days of observation before introduction.

Current stock:

TANGS

-orange shoulder tang (6")

-yellow belly hippo tang (5")

-purple tang (3")

-blonde naso tang (3")

ANGELS

-emperor angel (6")

-flame angel (4")

-majestic angel (3")

MISC

-flame hawkfish (3")

-two percula clowns (4" and 3")

-leopard wrasse (3")

-cleaner wrasse (3")

-4 lyretail anthias (2-3" each)

-midas blenny (3")

New Stock (arriving in 2 weeks, need to be QTed for 3 weeks before introduction):

-pyramid butterfly fish (3"-4")

-powder blue tang (4"-5")

-achilles tang (4"-5")

-flame wrasses (3")

-potters leopard wrasse (3")

-potters angel (3")

So what I'm thinking is this plan below, to slowly reintroduce fish so that the DT doesn't get overwhelmed with the large fish load again. I have been ghost feeding the DT but will ramp it up even more to get it used to a higher bioload.

This Thursday:

-clowns

-leopard wrasse

-midas blenny

-lyretails if they are healthy enough. Towards the end of the QT some have succumbed to a bacterial infection

-hawkfish

-blonde naso, he's the smallest tang and nasos are generally pretty mild-mannered so future additions of tangs won't even phase him

Once new stock are QT'ed:

-pyramid butterfly fish

-flame wrasses

-potters leopard wrasse

-cleaner wrasse

Two weeks after that:

-majestic angel

-potters angel

-flame angel

-emperor angel

Two weeks after that:

-orange shoulder tang

-achilles tang

-powder blue tang

-purple tang

-yellow belly hippo tang

Thoughts? Am I crazy? shifty.gif

That's a lot of separate tanks.... You know my answer though....

Oh already polled your answer before you even replied. Remind me what tangs you have in your tank again? I was going to ask you what your ongoing list is. That way I can say, well there's one guy crazier than me and it's working for him.

I'll say, my two biggest concerns are the majestic/flame/potters angel getting along and the purple tang/achilles/powder blue getting along.

So far the flame has harassed the majestic in the tub so I had to separate them. I may put the flame/majestic/potters in a separate tank with baffles dividing them and let them all get used to each other for a couple weeks. Then remove the baffles and see what happens.

Same once I get the powder blue and achilles. Put them into a tank together with baffles and let them get used to each other. Heck, I may just throw all my tangs in a tub and watch the free for all and separate any that fight until they get used to each other.

As of today I have
In order of addition

Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow Tang x2
Achilles Tang
Chocolate Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Sohal Tang
Dussumieri Tang
Hippo Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Kole Tang
Black Tang

I have tried a Clown, Powder Blue, both killed by the Achilles.

I also Have:

Magnificent Foxface

Regular Foxface

4 Female Lyretails

2 Male Lyretails

File Fish

Cleaner Wrasse

2 Orange Ocellaris Clowns

1 Black Ocellaris Clown

I like your plan. I would add all of the wrasses, clowns, etc. first, then the tangs and add all of the angels last and at the same time.

I was thinking angels before tangs. What do you think I should do tangs before angels?

As of today I have

In order of addition

Purple Tang

Sailfin Tang

Yellow Tang x2

Achilles Tang

Chocolate Tang

Blonde Naso Tang

Sohal Tang

Dussumieri Tang

Hippo Tang

Orange Shoulder Tang

Kole Tang

Black Tang

I have tried a Clown, Powder Blue, both killed by the Achilles.

I also Have:

Magnificent Foxface

Regular Foxface

4 Female Lyretails

2 Male Lyretails

File Fish

Cleaner Wrasse

2 Orange Ocellaris Clowns

1 Black Ocellaris Clown

Okay good, you're much crazier than me. That gives me hope that my plan may work out after all! Thank you sir!

New Stock (arriving in 2 weeks, need to be QTed for 3 weeks before introduction):

-pyramid butterfly fish (3"-4")

-powder blue tang (4"-5")

-achilles tang (4"-5")

-flame wrasses (3")

-potters leopard wrasse (3")

-potters angel (3")

I misread this part of your original post and didn't catch the potter's at the bottom.

First batch!

eb6cbe636cce4023f89d0c33d00de4be.jpg

-2 lyretail anthias

-2 clowns

-leopard wrasse

-midas blenny

-blonde naso tang

Joyous day! [emoji4]

...and?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And cue the cheesy videos!

Crazy, I had a bit of a bubble algae explosion towards the end of my fallow period but I kept it in check with manual removal and it seems to be not proliferating anymore.

Well, just to show you that reefing is 20% skill and the rest dumb luck... my blonde naso, within 20 mins of being put back in the tank yesterday, eats about 8 bubbles in areas I couldn't reach. Hooray nature!

Nice! I didn't know Naso like Valonia, but it's good to know. Bubble algae is one step above roaches for me. I turn into the not-so-incredible hulk and destruction usually follows. By hulk, I mean that I hold my breath and grunt a little. By destruction, I mean that I pop bubbles and/or drop frags in a vain attempt to do less work than I know that I should.

Nice! I didn't know Naso like Valonia, but it's good to know. Bubble algae is one step above roaches for me. I turn into the not-so-incredible hulk and destruction usually follows. By hulk, I mean that I hold my breath and grunt a little. By destruction, I mean that I pop bubbles and/or drop frags in a vain attempt to do less work than I know that I should.

So like the Eric Bana hulk then. [emoji23]

They don't usually eat bubble algae if I remember correctly. He's just an anomaly is my guess. They love some dictyota and other fleshy brown algae though.

My pocket guide says that some Naso Tangs refuse to eat when first introduced and brown algae should be used to initiate a feeding response, so that sounds right in line. Maybe the poor little guy was starved in the tub! It's like seeing an apple after giving up sweets for 40 days, it's not quite candy but it'll do.

My pocket guide says that some Naso Tangs refuse to eat when first introduced and brown algae should be used to initiate a feeding response, so that sounds right in line. Maybe the poor little guy was starved in the tub! It's like seeing an apple after giving up sweets for 40 days, it's not quite candy but it'll do.

That was my first assumption too... poor little guy, staring at plastic for the last two months with nothing to graze but nori... something green... bubble algae... I don't even care!!!

Haha! My GHA is starting to look ornamental and needs trimming if you want to bring him over. I'm about to buy some fish just to get something to look at besides the sway of hair algae in the current!

Haha! My GHA is starting to look ornamental and needs trimming if you want to bring him over. I'm about to buy some fish just to get something to look at besides the sway of hair algae in the current!

What happened to no fish for 2-3 months! [emoji4]

Archived