Which ati?

Bpb

Compiling opinions. Two basic questions:

For a display tank, consisting of 99% acropora, even clear down to the sandbed. Is 8x54 watt t5ho ati sunpower overkill for a 90 gallon display?

Similarly, would a 6x54 watt ati sunpower plus buildmyled super actinic be UNDER powered for a 120 gallon by the same goals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90g is about 18" front to back, so you should be fine with 6x54w sunpower. 8x54w would probably be even better especially since its all acro. The 2 extra bulb adds about 100 par at all depths. I have a 6x39w on a 20g long tank (i know its overkill!) but I only run 4 bulbs. Near the top I get 300 par. If I turn on the 2 remaining bulbs I get around 400 par.

Either combination will work but your corals and their colors you are wanting to have predominate should be researched. Birdsnest is one I've found to have quite a range of color based on intensity varying from brown (75 PAR) to purple (400-500 PAR), pictures are in this post http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/24054-the-difference-a-12-inch-makes/?hl=%2Btwo+%2Bbirdsnest

The amount of blue light is a factor, lots of blue, violet and uv will shift oranges and reds to green.

Some corals are able to make just a few colors, Green Slimer only varies between brown (100 PAR) to bright green (200 PAR and above) M. setosa is going to be variations of orangish red (the pink colors are partially bleached colonies) so lighting is not going to be as much a factor.

Thanks for the thoughts. Bulb cost notwithstanding, the price difference between the two is not a motivating factor in any way. It's negligible. I like the bulb color options I would have with an 8 bulb, just worry that 8 would be too much for a 90 but 6 would be too little for a 120. I'd like to have the opportunity to upgrade tanks in the future and not have to purchase new lights in the process

I've not been as present on the forum as of late. Life has been happening and family time and work schedule have kind of limited the amount of time I have been able to put into my tank. Rest assured I'm still in it. Looking at a tank upgrade, or at the very least a tear down, clean out, and rebuild of my current tank at some point in the near future

So here is a dumb question. Can't you just run 6 lamps in the 8 lamp fixture? Seems like the 8 lamp would be the way to go.

+1, if a future tank upgrade is in your future, just get the 8 lamp one and call it a day. Run two bulbs in the off position if it's too much light, which I doubt that'll ever happen with acros. I had a majority of my corals in 300-500 par, with some at 600-800 par.

You could also vary your bulb selections as some of the bulbs put out less par than others if needed.

I like how y'all think. Subject to change of course, but I'm thinking 2 true actinic, 3 blue+, 3 coral+. Or perhaps 2 coral+ one purple+.

How's the ballast combination on the 8-bulb? On my 6-bulb ati sunpower, there are 4 bulbs on one channel, and 2 bulbs on the other channel. You can't remove 1 or 2 bulbs from the 4-bulb channel.

On my 6x39w I did:

(Back to front)

ATI Blue+

ATI Coral+

ATI Blue+

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

Love the ability to dim the two ABS & Coral+! Makes for infinite color combinations!

We shall see Ty. I don't want to get too crazy. I know t5 can have some great spread and blending, but I fear a single very dominating bulb will create a harsh band at the spot it sits. I'm thinking it may be more beneficial to keep it simple and just run an even mixture of actinic, blue+, and coral+ to ensure even spectrum front to back. This is of course a long term plan. I need to update my build thread on my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for you sunpower users.

My tank is your run of the mill 90 gallon at 18" deep. I have a fairly tall canopy over it that I would like this fixture to fit inside. I see online dimensions say the fixture is 17.5" wide. Now is that 17.5" at the absolute widest point of the aluminum housing? Or some bulb spacing width measurement. I'm needing to find out if that width is from point to point where the housing comes to the points on the end. That'll make or break which fixture I end up with. Can someone measure theirs and maybe take a pic to confirm it for me?

Hoping it will JUST fit inside the canopy and that I don't have to go down to the 6 bulb or the Hamilton Cebu sun instead

Here's a question for you sunpower users.

My tank is your run of the mill 90 gallon at 18" deep. I have a fairly tall canopy over it that I would like this fixture to fit inside. I see online dimensions say the fixture is 17.5" wide. Now is that 17.5" at the absolute widest point of the aluminum housing? Or some bulb spacing width measurement. I'm needing to find out if that width is from point to point where the housing comes to the points on the end. That'll make or break which fixture I end up with. Can someone measure theirs and maybe take a pic to confirm it for me?

Hoping it will JUST fit inside the canopy and that I don't have to go down to the 6 bulb or the Hamilton Cebu sun instead

The widest points = 17.5"

Well bummer. Upon measurement of my canopy on the inside, the boards resting on the rim bring the inner dimensions to 17". 0.5" too narrow. Looks like the 8 bulb is out.

Well bummer. Upon measurement of my canopy on the inside, the boards resting on the rim bring the inner dimensions to 17". 0.5" too narrow. Looks like the 8 bulb is out.

Get rid of the Canopy!

Easy fix as it sounds. However. My number 1 pet peave...more than anything in the entire hobby, is light spill. I cannot handle it. It bothers me to the point that if my tank can't have a light canopy, I won't have a tank. One of those non-negotiable things. Priority no.1 kind of issue. So whatever I have must fit inside maybe I can set it on top

Easy fix as it sounds. However. My number 1 pet peave...more than anything in the entire hobby, is light spill. I cannot handle it. It bothers me to the point that if my tank can't have a light canopy, I won't have a tank. One of those non-negotiable things. Priority no.1 kind of issue. So whatever I have must fit inside maybe I can set it on top

Well my setup must be the anti Christ for you..... Sorry

Having followed both your build threads I marvel at your successes in both infrastructure and execution of livestock growth. That being said, it's not that I think EVERY tank needs a canopy. Just the one in my living room. Makes no difference to me if someone else's has one or not. I can appreciate it all the same. Mega light spill doesn't jive well with me in my living room though. On top of that, it's unacceptable to the warden as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who own the ati sunpower 8, which bulbs from front to back are on channel 1 and which are on channel 2?

Archived