icecap mh ballast problem.

gatortank

I just bought them off a fellow member. They are IceCap 250W. I believe its something with the ballast, because i switched it to one of my other lights thats running on a generic ballast and it does the same thing.

No. I had it plugged into a power strip, now its directly in the socket. I was saying i can't have the lights hooked up to a timer. I can't even leave the ballast plugged in and just flip the on and off switch on the side. The power button has to be in the on position and then i have to plug it in.

No. I had it plugged into a power strip, now its directly in the socket. I was saying i can't have the lights hooked up to a timer. I can't even leave the ballast plugged in and just flip the on and off switch on the side. The power button has to be in the on position and then i have to plug it in.

That's really weird. I ran my 3 MH ballasts for years plugged into a power strip, which was then plugged into my Apex. Do you think it has something to do with that switched outlet? Can you plug it into a regular outlet that doesn't have a switch? Perhaps the switch is causing some type of power leakage when you first flip it on? I can see that triggering the ballast to not complete the lighting process as it needs the full amount of power at once and for it to be sustained to light the bulb. Having a switch that hiccups at all on the power will cause the ballast to be underpowered for a bit and not complete the lighting of the bulb. That's about my best layman's explanation of electricity I can muster on a Monday morning.

I agree it is weird. It seams like it has to get the jolt of electricity when plugging it into the wall in order to work. Nothing else I have tried works.

Did you try it on a non-switched outlet yet?

Archived