Anyone keeping Xenia or Anthelia?

giveme_bryopsis

I have a CB (ORA) radial filefish. I'd like to give it its preferred companion - Xenia or Anthelia

I have some pulsing xenia; they are doing quite OK (though not taking over).

Tank otherwise has no coral/nems, but filter feeders and algea eating slugs*

I'd love to hear from you if you keep (pulsing) xenia or larger, stalked Anthelia. Requirements, caution, tips, or even "frags" (what would be the right term for squishy off-shoots?)

Filefish info with a super cute video of the fish camo within xenia

http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2015/11/13/new-ora-radial-filefish/

* speaking of: anyone have some bryopsis? these slugs just adore that and I can never get enough. I'll pick it up anywhere in the greater Austin area, pretty please

I've read of a couple members that couldn't keep Xenia, but for most others xenia and anthelia are considered a weed and really easy to grow. And hard to control after it's gets going! I believe Mike or maybe Timfish usually have bags of the stuff to give away free at the meetings, if you can make one of those.

I love filefish and it's exciting they are able to breed them!

I still have bryopsis some you are more than welcome too.

Maybe drop me off a slug if yours have started breeding?

Also have some sump xenia if you need more.

Thanks! Can I pick it up over the weekend, or Friday afternoon?

I get egg spirals, but sadly, no young sluggies. Too many filter feeders would be my guess?

I'll PM you for the bryopsis

I've read of a couple members that couldn't keep Xenia, but for most others xenia and anthelia are considered a weed and really easy to grow. And hard to control after it's gets going! I believe Mike or maybe Timfish usually have bags of the stuff to give away free at the meetings, if you can make one of those.

I love filefish and it's exciting they are able to breed them!

Great extra reason to make it to the next meeting.

Seems to be flow and dissolved nutrient related if Xenia etc do well or not. As I (purposefully) have algae, it's not pristine water.

I have my Xenia on removable things, like large oyster shells, now trying a HemiXsphere (aragonite porous material). That way I can move it around the tank or remove it if needed.

ORA has a small spotted and a small striped filefish. both are extremely cute. I just can't adopt an entire ocean :)

filefish was a but overly shy (almost neurotic) for a few days, but it is mellowing out. still a shy fish, but no more endless pacing

You could start a bryopsis culture fairly easily. Just a high nutrient tank with a lot of light and you should be able to grow pounds of it per month after it gets going.

everyone one who doesn't want it seems to be able to grow it well. I can't, or only in very limited quantities. I don't quite understand why.

I suspect that some micronutrient that is plentyful in a reef tank (via fish/coral feeding) is needed, along with much stronger flow than my filter feeder/slug tank would sustain.

Other Elysia lettuce slug keepers have similar problems

http://solarslug.info/good-algae-make-good-slugs/

I know, weird. I try, but I am always in search of more bryopsis.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived