Advice on removing/replacing center brace

Juiceman

Ok, so if I was to do something like yours Isaac, can the supports be thinner? How many more than 4 would I need for 7' length..?

cross supports are not so much a direct correlation to the direct forces against the glass, they are more to keep the top edge from bowing, causing a catatrophic failure. most glass fronts on larger spans will have a bow regardless of what is used to brace it. to the goal is to keep tat top edge straight.

doing research on this, i found the most glass cross support are actually larger than they need to be, simply because they need the surface area between the 2 panes for the silicon to adhere and create a micro-vacuum holding it in place. this vacuum holds it more than the silicon itself (even though that crap is a pain to remove).

since you are actually "clamping in" from the outside, and not pulling in from the inside, you brace can be MUCH smaller. Frankly, I think my 1" wide was overkill for having 4 cross supports. 1/2" or even 3/8" and 3 would have done the job.

you can also use roundbar or square solid tubing. its more about how much tinsle stregth the length can endure. seeing that you only need enough to keep that top rim straight, split across each support... its much less.

howd i figure mine out? I made a temp brace 1/8 larger than it needed to be. removed both glass ones. leaned on the glass enough to move it straight. guestimates lbs of force from there, then doubled it because im paranoid. I weight about 170, i leaned at about 55 degree angle... so roughly 90-ish lbs/force?

anyways, we can get into the weeds w/ math, but you get the picture.

oh... and im a network security engineer by trade, not a structural engineer (but have designed/built some addons to various homes).... so disclaimer and whatnot... but i am paranoid and research a lot and pretty handy :)

Archived