Josh's 40g Breeder Build

JWreck

Hey everyone,

I'm finally far enough along that I think I can post some actual progress on a build thread! I'm starting small (or that was the intention) with a mixed coral and fish tank - though I do plan on only having just a few fish since it's a smaller tank. I'm mainly in it for the coral. ?

I started with a 29 gallon freebie tank, and quickly realized I needed bigger all around. So I now have a 40g breeder with a Glass-Holes 1500gph overflow kit. The 29g went to someone else for better use. :)

Pump: I plan on running a mag 7 pump submerged that I bought new.

Sump: I'm using an Aqueon sump I bought from another member here.

Lighting: I went LED, and the Chinese black box at that. Seem to have decent reviews over on Reef Central and they have the same diodes as some higher end lights, and are customizable (I plan on swapping some colors later). These are the Mars Aqua brand from eBay.

I built a light hanger using galvanized steel piping from Home Depot that I plan on painting or wrapping later. It's sturdy and I don't think it looks too shabby. I didn't want an enclosed hood for my tank starting out (we'll see how long that lasts).

Well anyway, I'll post some individual pictures and status updates in the comments below. Thanks for stopping by!

Wow, that's a great looking stand.

Thanks! I commissioned my dad to build it for me...wanted it to be simple and sturdy. It's fairly large and very heavy. I wanted it a little taller than normal so that the tank was more eye level.

And the final piece....rock! About 50lbs of pukani rock to put in. I was messing around with the structure a little bit this morning. Looking for feedback...any thoughts?

25155957495_94febc3199_k.jpg

PS - Don't make fun of how I prepped this. I didn't want to be scraping rock across the glass while building a structure so I improvised. Fortunately the floors are coming out in a couple of weeks for wood, so good timing. :)

That stand was the first thing that caught my eye as well. Very sharp!

I like the aquascape planning tape! Pretty good idea there.

Thanks! Let's hope I don't trip over the rock in the middle of the night. Just needs to stay in place until the morning! ?

I kind of like the separate islands better. Though I do like the thought of adding more height to both as you mentioned.

Ugh I'm thinking the same thing too. Maybe I'll start with the two isolated pillars and find some rock that I can build a bridge with eventually?

I kind of like the separate islands better. Though I do like the thought of adding more height to both as you mentioned.

Ugh I'm thinking the same thing too. Maybe I'll start with the two isolated pillars and find some rock that I can build a bridge with eventually?
Mine used to change every 6 months so you're probably not going to get much solid advice from me. [emoji12]

Mine used to change every 6 months so you're probably not going to get much solid advice from me. [emoji12]

Lol! That's what I'm trying to avoid

One thing I regret on my rockwork is too much vertical surface. It's really hard to put coral on a straight up wall

Yep I've seen lots of nice looking examples of vertical rock but usually they're bare. I want more space for coral and I'll add more depth with differing sizes

Looks great im having trouble with my return into my sump , i didnt have check ball valves in both return an feed , my main is about 45gal tall. I replace sump tank to bigger 35gal tall bow front, i have about 100 lb of live rock , in my 29g bio an my little display tank 45 tall , managed to keep all rock alive but having a tough learning curve,

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Updated my potential rock build. Added a bridge. Need more rock if I am going to use this design. I'd like for there to be a little more height on either or both sides.

25176227615_36d46e0663_z.jpg

You can chisel the bottom left rock in half and place one half on the top left to give it more height and leave the other piece where you have it right now. Idk I like both scapes [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Archived