Yasha White Ray Goby

pabloescolar

Hey all,

I ordered a goby a few days ago. Somehow, the retailer dropped part of my address in transmission to UPS, so the shipment was delayed an extra day, and it doesn't look like the goby will make it. He's fighting but swimming upside down and seems to have no control over his swim bladder or something along those lines. Is there anything I can do or is this one just a goner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPS is the worst. They literally lose every shipment. I HATE when companies ship with them - but they do it to save cost because fedex is generally more expensive.

Sorry this happened to you.

Try and put him in a breeder net, safe from other fish and heavier flow. Reduce the amount of stress by separating him. Don't handle him too much, try and let him rest.

Best of luck! Keep us updated!

I cannot find my breeder basket to save my life. Has this worked for you before? Thanks for the response! And yeah.....they had my number but didn't call me, I called them same day, it was absolutely infuriating. For the record, the retailer is who dropped my address details and they admitted it. And it's a big one. Hard to understand...

I've been waiting for four months for the email alert that it was back in stock. Guess what? Already out of stock again.

Also, the strangest thing just happened. He's been face down into the substrate, pulsing around for 8 hours now. He just locked on to a red mushroom coral with his jaw, and chewed and chewed for a minute, then darted around the tank like he was on PCP or meth for about a minute, then went back to being almost dead. It was so strange. There's a spot on the mushroom coral where he was chewing now. So bizarre and fascinating.

I brought a Dracula goby back from the condition. He needs to be in a breeder box with very very low flow and have time to destress. It took the Dracula 3 days to right himself. They don't make peas small enough for a Yasha. Loose in your tank he is probably a goner .

I found the breeder basket! Well meaning girlfriend found a home for it.....probably because I left it out. Reburn and Brooks, got it in the basket and the baskets covered because he got sprightly and was obviously thinking about jumping. Thanks for the insight everyone. I'll update later.

An extra day of shipping shouldn't affect it too much. How was the acclimation process? I don't take anything out of the bag the same day I get it because when i did and it died overnight I would never find it since my CUC would get to it.

It was already limping badly when it came out of the shipping box. Another day in the bag would have certainly spelled anoxia. Acclimation was about an hour of temperature adjustment and not more, but that was only because it was obviously about to die. The bag couldn't have been better than the tank given its state. I'm still up and it's still hanging on, in the breeder basket.

Sounds like a fighter. I hope he makes it. The yasha is one of my favorites. A fish in a bag - 24 hours is pushing it. An extra day is almost a death sentence. I take the fish out of bag as soon as I get it, drip acclimate it over 1 hour and put it in the tank in a breeder box so he is separate from the rest of the tank, but in good water. A fish naturally produces ammonia constantly as its nitrogen waste. When its in a bag, that ammonia accumulates and within less than 24 hours its already at near toxic levels. That's why you have so many fishes that die during shipping. There's no easy way to ship fishes 100% safely over long distances - some make it, some don't.

Following along. Keep us posted.

Just to expound on the ammonia in the bag during shipping, when a fish is shipped in a bag, the respiration of the fish produces CO2. The CO2 increases the acidity of the water and causes the pH to drop, thereby, allowing the ammonia being produced from the fishes waste products to convert to the much more harmless ammonium while the fish is in transport.

The problem you have is when you open the bag, it allows for the pH of the water to start increasing as the water aims to reach atmospheric equilibrium. This causes your ammonium to convert back to toxic ammonia in the bag and causes major issues with the fish very quickly. If you drip acclimate, you're introducing high pH water to the bag which increases the pH even faster and the ammonia gets toxic even more quickly.

The ideal scenario is to open the bag very quickly, disturbing the air in it as little as possible to pull just a little water out to determine the salinity of the water, which is usually 1.018-1.020. Heck, you may even just poke a hole in the bag to get just enough water for a salinity measurement and then tape the hole back up. Then temperature float the bag in the new water, match the new water salinity to the bag that the fish is in, and once temperature matches, literally put the fish right into the new water with matching salinity and temperature. No drip acclimating, just right in. Fish are active osmoregulators and can readily adjust to salinities that are within +/- 0.01 of each other.

This allows the fish to bypass the toxic ammonia issue when being in the bag too long. This really only applies to shipped fish. The ones you buy locally have not been in the bag long enough to produce that much ammonia so drip acclimation is still ideal.

Hope your fish makes it. I know the information above is irreverent for you now but I wanted to post for future reference for everybody else.

If they've been in the bag a long time it's safer having them deal with temperature or salinity shock. I've seen a number of online retailer's fish acclimation instruction are basically equalize temp and dump. Sounds like there's a chance this one will survive. If you can get him to eat, it would probably go a long way to helping recover.

Honestly Ty I really appreciate your explanation. Will definitely keep it in mind in the future. He didn't look great in the bag, but as soon as he was in the tank he looked terrible. I opened the bag and there was probably about 90 seconds where he was still inside while all that ammonium converted to ammonia. Can it happen that fast?

He's a goner. :-|

These are so hard to find too. :-/

Sorry to read this news. That's a real bummer, especially with them being so hard to find. And because of a silly mistake!

Archived