Coral Placement chart

jcasisa

I think any generalizations in this hobby should be taken with a grain of salt. These are animals and not all temperaments and genetics of these animals are the same. There can be significant variances within a species and between individuals when it comes to lighting, flow, and where they thrive best in an aquarium. The environment will also have an impact on how they react. I say this table might be good for very broad generalizations, but I wouldn't consider it the end-all.

I also agree with Gigs. The main discrepancy with low, medium, high categories is that they mean something different to everyone. Low light to me is 50-100 PAR, medium is 100-200 and high is 200+. I've seen enough to know that some people think differently about light.

I don't agree with most of the recommendations on the chart.

I often research the reason why something has a difficulty rating and usually ignore it. I don't understand why they label something easy or difficult. Is it in relation to each other? If that were the case then how could a plating montipora be easy and a flower pot be difficult? Maybe it's in relation to the degree of lighting and flow, but then how is a plate coral medium, medium, difficult? I'm pretty sure these charts are made by the same people naming zoanthids.

Archived