Jens 240

Jen_McG

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never dosed with hydrogen peroxide, but I've had amazing luck spot-applying it with q-tips to a bryopsis outbreak on liverock.

How does the Vibrant work?

I'm not sure I just started dosing it yesterday, here's the thread if your interested to read up on it

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

-- Arthur C Clarke

That's how I feel about Vibrant right now lol. No, but seriously, bacteria? Do you have any macroalgaes in your tank? If so, I'm curious to see what effect it has on them.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

-- Arthur C Clarke

That's how I feel about Vibrant right now lol. No, but seriously, bacteria? Do you have any macroalgaes in your tank? If so, I'm curious to see what effect it has on them.

I actually don't, I run bio pellets! So far I really haven't seen anything positive or negative haha!

Trying to figure out my equipment situation for the 240.

For the light I was thinking two ati dimmable 8 bulb fixtures

Sump I'm thinking the 60' bash sea

Return pump the jebao D.C. 12,000

Already have two Neptune wavs for flow but thinking I might need more....

Skimmer I'm just going to keep my bubble magus 9 for now and possibly upgrade later

Already have the apex, ato, bio pellet reactor, and gfo reactor.

Open to suggestions and opinions on this stuff ?

I've been very happy with my LED setup supplemented with T5s. I think its the best of both worlds and in overall cost, much cheaper to maintain. If you run two 8-bulb T5 fixtures, you're looking at around $320+ bulb replacement costs annually! That's insane to me! That buys me two of my Ocean Revive fixtures which I could theoretically run for 5-6 years without any annual bulb replacement costs and they use less electricity.

I say do that and then use the money saved to buy a bigger skimmer immediately. With your fish population, I think that's going to be one of your most important purchases on the new tank... Unless you want another war with dinos, cyano, or pest algaes.

For extra pumps, you could always add a couple of cheap jaebos to supplement flow if needed.

You can obviously see a theme with me here... I'm cheap. I'd also just build my own sump with an old glass tank and add my own baffles.

I've been very happy with my LED setup supplemented with T5s. I think its the best of both worlds and in overall cost, much cheaper to maintain. If you run two 8-bulb T5 fixtures, you're looking at around $320+ bulb replacement costs annually! That's insane to me! That buys me two of my Ocean Revive fixtures which I could theoretically run for 5-6 years without any annual bulb replacement costs and they use less electricity.

I say do that and then use the money saved to buy a bigger skimmer immediately. With your fish population, I think that's going to be one of your most important purchases on the new tank... Unless you want another war with dinos, cyano, or pest algaes.

For extra pumps, you could always add a couple of cheap jaebos to supplement flow if needed.

You can obviously see a theme with me here... I'm cheap. I'd also just build my own sump with an old glass tank and add my own baffles.

What if I'm a t5 fanatic? I agree to have the best of both worlds but how would I supplement the ocean revives with t5? And what do you suggest skimmer wise? Sump I've tried to make before and failed miserably so that's why I let the experts handle it lol

very nice, once again an example for me to strive for, mine more of a what not to do build jk, its slow going due to funds but still comming along

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Slow and steady wins the race ?

Ok so I thought I was losing my mind. I was having major issues with my quarantine tank. It seemed like the more water changes I was doing, the higher the ammonia was getting. So I drained that tank down completely and used water from my 92 to fill it back up. Seachem badge so no ammonia. 4 days pass so I decide to do a water change again. Drained 50% and put newly fresh saltwater in. Next thing you know ammonia again. I couldn't believe it. I was so dumbfounded on why this kept happening that I went and tested the water in the trash can that I use to mix my water in. Ammonia through the roof. Didn't know how that was possible since I keep it very clean. Tested the water from the waste line, and rodi to make sure it was hooked up right and it is. No ammonia coming out of the system. So it finally occurred to me and I may be wrong but I'm thinking it's from the cats litter pans in the closed up garage next to my garbage can. I can't think of any other reason other than that. Explains a lot why I was having water issues in my 180 as well if I'm right. In this picture the first vial is from the waste water, 2nd vial is the water coming out of the unit. 3rd vial is water from the trash can. If I'm right it's definitely a lesson learned. Now to go out and by a proper water mixing container with a tight lid [emoji17]

49bd16a0cb4e0f8c1bdec86f24186f02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, tank is done and at the shop (I dusted it and found Ty's fingerprints all over it) stand will be done next week! Sump will be here Monday. Still need to get a few more things.

This is what I have so far

Bash sea sump 60x15x16

(2) ati hybrid fixtures

Reef octopus regal 3,000 int

Pentair aquatics smart 40 watt uv

Things I still need to get

16 ati bulbs (ouch)

Jebao D.C. Pump 12,000

2 rs-20 wavemakers

4 bags tropical eden reef flakes

Big heater

Quick update, tank is done and at the shop (I dusted it and found Ty's fingerprints all over it) stand will be done next week! Sump will be here Monday. Still need to get a few more things.

Bash sea sump 60x15x16

(2) ati hybrid fixtures

16 ati bulbs (ouch)

Jebao D.C. Pump 12,000

2 rs-20 wavemakers

Big heater

Oh good, that means you didn't see the butt print when I sat in it. [emoji4]

Bash sea sump 60x15x16

(2) ati hybrid fixtures

16 ati bulbs (ouch)

Jebao D.C. Pump 12,000

2 rs-20 wavemakers

Big heater

Oh good, that means you didn't see the butt print when I sat in it. [emoji4]
??? good one!

Wow! I have serious tank and sump envy!

Trust me I rather have what's inside your tank then what's on the outside of mine [emoji13]

Maybe we can combine them and make the ultimate tank! [emoji7]

Wow! I have serious tank and sump envy!

Trust me I rather have what's inside your tank then what's on the outside of mine [emoji13]

Maybe we can combine them and make the ultimate tank! [emoji7]
Now your speaking my language [emoji3]

• 3 weeks later...

Had an unexplainable death this morning [emoji17] poor guy, had him for about a yr and a half. Woke up to find him lying at the bottom of the tank. He looked healthy. No signs of trauma or illness. Doesn't appear like he starved to death either. Totally bummed out

a1035e7c851e2d3d33538f216f355d73.jpg

Archived