Drilling liverock

CJohnson

I want to re aquascape my tank. I want to do a pillar aquascape. Do I have to use a masonry bit? Do acrylic rods have to be used or are the drive way markers good? Show me some pictures if you have done this. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Looks good! KimP did a couple videos on drilling rock, they're in the video section. If the driveway markers are fiberglass they will work fine as long as any metal ends are cut off but like Mike said CPVC or PVC is cheaper.

Ive got some long m bits , but there not that much new , if you use 3/8 or so you could probably use 1/4 square stock acrylic or pvc , also newer bit with a new masonry tip will leave less metal behind on the rock ,bouch make really good bits

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

All of the rocks in my tank are drilled. I use a masonry bit ($3.99) and cut piece of the white driveway markers ($1.99 each) to insert into the holes. I recently did my 300g tank and it only cost me $6. I don't have any pictures of my new tank posted, but here is a link to my old build thread where I kind of showed what I did.

Drill into the side and add a rock shelf, preferably something with a flat side. You could also make a bridge between the two towers or a sloping arch down to the sand. Adding things like that will give you surface to place corals.

People do some pretty crazy stuff with rods. A friend of mine took rock rubble and strewn it together like a popcorn string. Then, he drilled it in between two towers and made an archway. He put some richordea on it and they grew to cover the whole arch.

Every rock stack that you see in my tank is drilled, even if it's just two rocks high. Adding a variety of sized stacks will make the aquascape interesting and you won't have to worry about coral weight as the tank ages. For me, it doesn't matter how carefully I stack the rocks or how careful I am with my hands in the tank. Any loose rocks in my tank will fall eventually and that's why I drill them.

That sounds good. I have some dry base rock that I'll chisel down into some smaller rocks. I'll get some better pictures I have my lights set at ch.1 50 ch.2 25. I'll try several different things and take pictures.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived