Looking at wrasses

pabloescolar

Hey all, my six line took a leap today and I found him far too late. I'm looking into getting a Melanurus, but am curious what others think.

Anyone have a Melanurus, but later discovered another species they wish they would have gotten instead?

Another consideration is that I may want to add one more wrasse down the road, and have noticed periodic comments that the Melanurus can be a bit of a bully to newly introduced wrasses.

I've got very healthy, established live rock and 3" substrate with all manner of critters throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a melanarus, six line, green, and fairy wrasse In a 125 and all get along great. Melanarus has never bothered any other wrasse and he is a beautiful fish. He buried himself the first time I put him in the tank. It was crazy to watch!

If your tank is not covered, put the screening over it. I wouldn't buy any more until you've done that. It's not a matter of if, but when a wrasse will jump.

This for sure.

I just got a bonded pair of flame fairy and a black cap basslet in my QT, and put some eggcrate over it to protect them until my canopy is built.

The basslet jumped sometime on Friday and I lost him.

He had to squeeze out of 1/2" gap where the HOB filter doesnt allow the eggcrate to the edge. I've since cut the exact holes out to protect.

SCREEN/TOP first!

I've had 2 mystery wrasses jump out of the back of my 55gal when I had it along with a 6line. It was covered on 3 sides, but they all made it out the back.

So, always screen with wrasses!

Heard you guys loud and clear. I actually started looking at screening options last night. Looks like all the premade stuff is metal and for reptiles enclosures. I'd prefer to find a stiff plastic mesh that I can cut. Off topic but open to suggestions on that too.

Heard you guys loud and clear. I actually started looking at screening options last night. Looks like all the premade stuff is metal and for reptiles enclosures. I'd prefer to find a stiff plastic mesh that I can cut. Off topic but open to suggestions on that too.

The standard is the BRS screen. Just order that and you'll be set.

Thanks Ty!

Now that we've cleared up the screen issue, anyone have anything to say about wrasse species? [emoji12]

Welcome! I put them between pretty docile like the fairy wrasses and overly aggressive like the non-reef safe wrasses. They are somewhere in between.

I'm thinking I might go Melanurus and Christmas. They seem to be compatible and are both quite dramatic looking.

Although I found the dusky wrasse last night, anyone have any experience with those?

I myself much prefer the Paracheilinus (flasher), Wetmorella (possum) and Cirrhilabrus (fairy). I have found most wrasses in these families to be quite docile generally speaking. The Pseudocheilinus (lined wrasses) and most other in the non reef safe family tend to be a bit aggressive or invert eating.

The melanurus is Halichoeres family wrasse which is not cosidered reef safe generally due to their liking to snails and shrimp. Some individuals are better then others but shrimp are on borrowed time with them. Some people claim they leave their cleaner shrimp alone if the shrimp is in the tank before the wrasse.

I myself much prefer the Paracheilinus (flasher), Wetmorella (possum) and Cirrhilabrus (fairy). I have found most wrasses in these families to be quite docile generally speaking. The Pseudocheilinus (lined wrasses) and most other in the non reef safe family tend to be a bit aggressive or invert eating.

The melanurus is Halichoeres family wrasse which is not cosidered reef safe generally due to their liking to snails and shrimp. Some individuals are better then others but shrimp are on borrowed time with them. Some people claim they leave their cleaner shrimp alone if the shrimp is in the tank before the wrasse.

I've got a Melanurus and this is my major problem. Every time I put a snail in the tank, he gets a free snack. I may not be moving him over to the new tank. He is not agressive with any of the other fish in the tank but only inverts. Never seen him go after shrimp.

I've kept all of the wrasses above and they've all been great with fish. They will eat any snail, worm, or feather duster they see though. Melanurus and Christmas Wrasses are my two favorite. Ornate Wrasses are commonly sold as Christmas and they look the same when they're young. One gets 3" and the other 5" so be sure you know what you're buying. Male Fairy Wrasses are known to revert to the female state if they aren't kept in a harem. It's been well documented in several other species, including Swallow Tail Angels, Wanatabi Angels and various Anthias species.

• 4 weeks later...

Love melanarus wrasses. Haven't noticed mine going after any inverts, but I've only had it a couple months. It's big though. Definitely an adult.

My personal holy grail wrasse is the mystery wrasse. It's a Pseudocheilinus so I would add it once I'm sure I'm done stocking because it may become aggressive, but their color is spectacular

I was just popping in to say, I love my mystery wrasse! Everyday I notice how beautiful it is. I don't know as much as others do about wrasses, but my yellow wrasse, red lined wrasse, and Scott's fairy wrasses all get along fantastic. I really suggest the mystery wrasse especially. I got 3 of my wrasses from Just Reef.

Archived