Bubble alge

Rconde

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in a tank that small. Manual removal is going to be your best bet. I have tried emerald crabs in the past with little success. Your tank is really too small for a fox face which would be my perfered method.

Reduced photoperiod does not work on Valonia sp. Bubble algae will often grow on the underside or deep in holes of the rock. Lowering the amount of nutrients typically doesn't work like it would on GHA. The larger bubbles don't die in a low nutrient system and the spores will grow as long as there is light. However, lowering the nutrients will slow down the growth rate of existing bubbles. Emerald crabs would work if it were the only food source in the aquarium. Emerald Crabs will seek the easiest source of food, which is normally uneaten fish food. If you had several crabs in a refugium or separate aquarium and transferred one rock from the display then they would clean it. They will not eat the spores though.

I agree that manual removal is your best bet. You could remove one rock at a time and pull the algae off, trying not to pop any. My preferred method is to use a siphon to suck the bubbles out. The good thing about the siphon is that you also get the spores if you happen to pop one. I would do it once a month during the water change. If you don't want to do a wc, then put a filter bag into the sump and siphon water from the display into the filter bag. It's painfully slow process of beating bubble algae because you have to keep removing it until all of the spores have grown. Good Luck!

Archived